Subject: CCL:sequence analysis workshops offered at the PSC

From: Marcella Madrid <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 16:56:23 -0400 (EDT)

NUCLEIC ACID AND PROTEIN SEQUENCE ANALYSIS
                     WORKSHOPS FOR BIOMEDICAL RESEARCHERS
                       PITTSBURGH SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER

Biomedical Workshops offered by the Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
typically consist of theoretical lectures taught by leaders in the
respective scientific discipline,  and extensive hands-on computer
sessions. During the computer sessions, participants are able to work on
the examples provided or on their own experimental data.Attendance is
limited to 20 participants to allow one-on-one instructionand encourage
scientific interactions and discussions.Researchers nationwide are
invited to apply.

For additional information, please refer to
        http://www.psc.edu/biomed/workshops.html

CONTACT INFORMATION: Nancy Blankenstein, Biomedical Program Assistant,
(412)268-4960, [email-masked]

The following two Sequence Analysis workshops will be offered this summer:

*********NUCLEIC ACID AND PROTEIN SEQUENCE ANALYSIS: June 9-14.**************
Emphasis will be on alignment of and pattern extraction from multiple
sequences. Topics to be discussed include
 Comparing and aligning sequences
 Identifying informative patterns in a set of sequences
 Using extracted informative patterns to identify related sequences.

Leaders are:
Dr. Gary Churchill, Cornell University;
Dr. Michael Gribskov, San Diego Supercomputer Center and
Dr. Hugh B. Nicholas Jr., Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center.

Financial Information:
A limited number of grants to cover travel and/or hotel accommodations
are available for U.S. academic participants. ALL PARTICIPANTS ARE
REQUIRED TO PAY A $135 REGISTRATION FEE UPON ACCEPTANCE INTO THE
WORKSHOP. Complimentary breakfast and lunches will be provided.

APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 17, 1996.

*****ADVANCED NUCLEIC ACID AND PROTEIN SEQUENCE ANALYSIS: August 25-28.******
Open to researchers who have previously attended one of the PSC's
annual "Nucleic Acid and Protein Sequence Analysis" workshops or who
have appreciable experience with computerized sequence analysis.  The
workshop will build on previous experience to teach techniques for
analyzing families and superfamilies of genes and proteins.

Leaders are:
Dr Stephen H. Bryant, National Center for Biotechnology Information, National
     Library of Medicine
Dr. Michael Gribskov, San Diego Supercomputer Center and
Dr. Hugh B. Nicholas Jr., Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center.

Financial Information :
Hotel accommodations during the workshop for researchers affiliated
with U.S. academic institutions will be paid by our NIH grant.
Complimentary breakfast and lunches will also be provided.
There is NO REGISTRATION FEE for this workshop. All other costs incurred
in attending (travel, other meals, etc.) are the responsibility of
the individual participant.

APPLICATION DEADLINE: July 10, 1996.

                               **********

                     PITTSBURGH SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER
                   WORKSHOPS FOR BIOMEDICAL RESEARCHERS

                               APPLICATION

Workshop I am interested in attending:_______________________________________

Name:          ______________________________________________________________

Affiliation:   ______________________________________________________________

Address:       ______________________________________________________________
               (Business)
               ______________________________________________________________

               ______________________________________________________________
               (Home)
               ______________________________________________________________

Telephone:  ____________________________         ____________________________
                   (Business)                                (Home)

*Social Security Number:  _______-_____-_______ Citizenship:_________________

Electronic Mail Address:_____________________________________________________

Status: ___Graduate  ___Post-doctoral Fellow  ___Faculty  ___Other (specify)

Please indicate specifically any special housing, transportation or dietary
arrangements you will need: __________________________________________

How did you learn about this workshop:______________________________________

REQUIREMENTS:

Applicants must submit a completed application form and a cover letter.  The
letter should describe, in one or two paragraphs, the sequence analysis
problems encountered in your research, and how participating in the workshop
will enhance this research.  Please include a brief statement describing your
level of experience with computers.  Faculty members, staff and post-docs
should provide a curriculum vitae.  Graduate students must have a letter
of recommendation from a faculty member.

Please return all application materials to:
          Biomedical Workshop Applications Committee
          Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
          4400 Fifth Avenue, Suite 230C
          Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Direct inquiries to: Nancy Blankenstein, [email-masked] or 412/268-4960.

*Disclosure of Social Security Number is voluntary.

PSC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age,
creed, national or ethnic origin, or handicap.