Subject: New Bioinformatics server in China

From: ldw <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 20:26:33 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Collages,
    We are pleased to announce that the first bioinformatics server in 
China has been setup. It is now maintained by Molecular Design Lab, 
Institute of Physical Chemistry, Peking University, Beijing, China. At 
this  infant stage, it has only mirrored protein related databases, other 
databases of molecular biology will soon be mirrored as requested.
    Under the direction of Prof. Luhua Lai, all the mirror work and 
database interconnections are implenmented by Mr. Dawei Lin.  The Home 
Pages were designed by Mr. Renxiao Wang and Mr. Dawei Lin. The work is 
supported by the Chinese National Commision of Science and Technology.
    At present, we are one of three official mirror sites of PDB(Protein
Data Bank) including all the ftp directories and WWW browsing. We are one 
of five official SCOP mirror sites. We also mirrored SWISSPROT, PIR,  
PROSITE, BLOCKS, but only ftp services can be provided at present. The 
PDB  and SCOP mirror sites have been crosslinked for the convenient use 
of local people.  Also a public molecular graphics software-Rasmol is 
attached to the databases. Users in China and nearby coutries or areas 
may find this server helpful. 
     We would like to thank all the people who give us help and valuable 
suggestions and specail thanks to Prof. Joel L. Sussman,  Prof. Enrique 
Abola, Prof. Jaime Prilusky, Dr. Dave Stampf,  Dr. Nancy O. Manning for  
the help in setting up PDB mirror site, to Dr. Steven Brenner and       
Prof. Tim Hubbard for the help in setting up SCOP mirror site, to  Prof. 
Amos Bairoch for the help in setting up SwissProt mirror site. 

 The useful URLs related to the bioinformatics server are:
   The first China bioinformatics server home page:
    http://www.ipc.pku.edu.cn/mirror/mirror.html
   The home page of Institute of Physical Chemistry, Peking University:
    http://www.ipc.pku.edu.cn/
   The PDB mirror site page:
    http://www.ipc.pku.edu.cn/npdb/index.html
   The SCOP mirror site page:
    http://www.ipc.pku.edu.cn/scop/
 The anonymous ftp server name of IPC is:
     ftp.ipc.pku.edu.cn
 Suggestions and encouragements are welcome at [email-masked] 

----------< *** Dawei LIN *** >----------------
             Ph.D student of 
          Molecular Design Lab 
      Institute of Physical chemistry
            Peking University
              Beijing 100871         
                  CHINA 
  Phone: 86-10-2751490  Fax:   86-10-2751725
  Email: [email-masked] 
         [email-masked] 
    URL: http://162.105.177.12/moldes/ldw/ldw.htm
------------------------------------------------