Subject: Beta-sheet without twist

From: Zhang Hongyu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 11:03:13 -0700 (PDT)

Dear CCL'ers,

I'd like to ask for help on constructing two chains (or more) protein
Beta-sheet without twist. 

Some softwares can build Beta-chain or beta-sheet with a fixed twist, but
it's a pity that I haven't find any one suitable for my demand stated
above. As I know, MSI/Quanta has a model to build a series of Beta-chain
without twist, but it has not the funtion of the next step to form a
standard sheet, which need to establish standard inter-chian
Hydrogen-bond geometry. 

I've tried Distance-geometry method based on the Hydrogen-bond gemoetry
stated in the reference of Chou (1981, J.Mol.Biol.), i.e., H-O distance:
2.0 anstrom, N-O distance: 4.2 anstrom. It cannot provide very correct
solutions, most of the results seemed to deviate much from a sheet. 

Therefore, I would like to know the availability of some other methods to
make precise models, and, whether some other precise hydrogen-bond
gemoetry constraint shoud be adopted in Distance-geometry. 

Any software or algorithm is warmly welcome.

Thanks in advance !

Hongyu Zhang

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Henry Hongyu Zhang, Ph.D. student |  email: [email-masked]
Molecular Design Laboratory       |  [email-masked]
Institute of Physical Chemistry   |  Tel: 8610-62751490
Peking University                 |  Fax: 8610-62751725
Peking 100871 , China		  |  URL: http://www.ipc.pku.edu.cn/moldes/
				  |       zhy/hom.htm
---------------------------------------------------------------------