Subject: TSSL'96 Conference-programme

From: "Barbara Nissen-Sobocinska" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 96 11:20:02 CST

Dear Subscribers, please transfer this information to your 
colleagues-spectroscopists.
Barbara Nissen-Sobocinska

 FIRST CIRCULAR
2nd INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON TUNABLE SOLID STATE LASERS
September 1-4, 1996,
Wroclaw, Poland

organized by Institute for Low Temperature and Structure Research,
 Polish Academy of Sciences, Wroclaw, Institute of Telecommunication
 and Acoustics of the Wroclaw Technical University, Institute of Physics,
 Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw.

Advisory Board: G.Baldacchini Italy T.Basiev Russia, R.Beigang Germany,
 G. Boulon (co-chairman) France B.Chai USA, J.Fujimoto USA, G.Huber Germany, 
Z.Jankiewicz Poland, F.Kaczmarek Poland A.Kaplyanskii Russia, N.Koroteev
 Russia, W.Krupke USA, A.Lempicki USA, M.Malinowski Poland, V.Mikhailov 
Belarus, R.Moncorge France, V.Osyko Russia, St. Payne USA, V.Petricevic USA,
 R.Reisfeld Israel, W.RybaRomanowski Poland, B.Sevastyanov Russia,
 A.Shkadarevich Belarus, I. Shcherbakov Russia, W.Strek Poland,
 A.Suchocki Poland, A.Wojtowicz Poland, A.Voitovich (co-chairman) Belarus,
 H.P.Weber Switzerland

Local Organizing Committee:
K. Abramski, P.Deren, J. Hanuza, J. Legendziewicz, E.Lukowiak, M.Malinowski
 (co-chairman), K.Maruszewski, B.Nissen-Sobocinska (secretary),
H. Podbielska, W.Ryba-Romanowski, W.Strek (chairman),
 A.Suchocki (co-chairman).

1. General Information
The Organizing Committee has the pleasure to invite you to participate at the 2nd International Conference on Tunable Solid State Lasers (TSSL'96) which is organized  at the Institute for Low Temperature and Structure Research of Polish Academy of Scien
The 1stTSSL was held in Minsk, Belarus, in 1994. These conferences build upon the successful series of meetings on tunable lasers held previously.

2. Sponsor: The State Committee of Scientific Research.

3. Scope
The objective of the conference will be a presentation of the latest results
 concerning structural, spectroscopic and technological aspects of materials
 applicable for tunable solid state laser systems. In particular the topics 
of the conference cover:
-spectroscopy of rare earth and transition metal ions  contributing to the 
broad band luminescence;
-spectroscopy of colour centres;
-mechanisms of electronic relaxations: radiative and  nonradiative decay,
 energy transfer, concentration  quenching, up-conversion processes;
-new perspective materials, crystals and glasses including sol-gel glasses;
-optical parametric oscillators (OPO);
-tunable solid lasers with ultrashort pulses;
-applications of tunable solid state lasers.

4. Venue
The conference will take a place at the Institute for Low Temperature and 
Structure Research, Polish Academy of Sciences in Wroclaw,  Okolna St. 2.

5. Conference Fees
The conference fees including conference materials,  social events and 
lunches are:
for active persons 200 USD,
 for students or accompanying persons 100 USD.
The fee does not include hotel accomodation. It should be payed to the
 Institute's Account (preferably June 15, deadline June 30).

6. Hotel Reservation
The Conference Centre is situated 3 km (about 30 minutes walk) from the
 Town Centre and the main rail station. Rooms in hotels of different price 
categories are available for the conference participants. Please indicate
 the price category of the hotel room that you wish to reserve for you
 and sent the form to the Secretariate by fax or e-mail  immediately.
cost per night single room
A  Student Housing 10-20 USD
B 1 star Hotel about 20 USD
C 2 star Hotel about 30 USD
D 3 star Hotel 50-80 USD
E 4 star Hotel 100-150 USD
Double rooms are availuable at a slightly higher cost  per room per night.
 We shall make a provisional booking on your behalf and send you details
 of the Hotel. This will be confirmed on receipt of the payment for the 1st 
night by the Conference  Bank. 

7. Conference account
Institute for Low Temperature and Structure Research TSSL'96
in the bank WBK IV/O Wroclaw
No. 359209-3551

8. Please  also  e-mail or fax the Secretariate with the details of the
 payment made.

9. Mailing Address
Correspondence concerning the conference should be addressed to:

Dr Barbara Nissen-Sobocinska
The TSSL'96  Secretariate
Institute for Low Temp. and Structure Res.,
Polish Academy of Sciences, P.O. Box 937,
PL-50-950 Wroclaw, Poland.
tel: 48-71-3435021 and  48-71-443206(-09)
fax : 48-71-441029
e-mail: [email-masked]

10. Conference News
Last day information on the 2nd TSSL are available on World Wide Web server
 in Internet.
Address: http://www.int.pan.wroc.pl/

11. Scientific Programme
The four-day programme will  consist of invited lectures, posters and short
 oral presentations. Oral presentation will be finalised when final 
confirmation from invited speakers is received. All lectures will be presented
 in English. For poster presentation there will be arranged poster boards of
 100 x 100cm each.

12. Abstracts
The abstracts should be prepared according to Instructions for the 
Preparation of Abstracts and sent to us before June 15.

13. TSSL'96 Proceedings
Contributed papers will be printed as SPIE Proceedings Series.
 SPIE   The International Society for Optical Engineering. The inquirements 
for preparation of manuscripts (10-12 pages invited lectures and 4-8 pages
 others) are provided in the Instructions Form which will be sent to the 
registered participants. The manuscripts should be sent to us before October 
15, 1996.

14. Exhibition
An exhibition of instruments, equipment, laser materials, journals and books
 will be arranged in connection with the conference. It will be held at Institu
te for Low Temperature and Structure Research. If you or your company needs
 more information regarding exhibition at TSSL' 96, please contact the 
Secretariate.

15. Related Conferences
The timing of 2nd TSSL'96 is coordinated with the CLEO/Europe EQEC'96 
conference to be held September 8 13, 1996 in Hamburg, Germany.
2nd TSSL'96

Hotel reservation form
(please send it to us immediately )
Title   
Family Name     
Given names     
Affiliation     
Full address    
Telephone       
Fax     
E-mail  
I would like to present a poster           
I woud like to give an oral presentation           
Please reserve hotel in price category: 
A             B         C              D             E      
single       double    

for nights:
31.08/1.09    1.09/2.09    2.09/3.09    3.09/4.09     4.09/5.09 
                                                              
Hotel Reservation for Invited Speakers:
Unless otherwise requested we shall reserve a single room for each 
invited speaker from the night of 31.08/1.09  to the night of 4th/5th. 

PROVISIONAL PROGRAMME

(*) Invited Speaker

Giuseppe Baldacchini
ENEA Centro Ricerche Energia Frascati, Divisione Laser eAcceleratori, 
Frascati (Roma), Italy
Optical Excitation and Relaxation in Active Colour Centres

Tasoltan Basiev
General Physics Institute of Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia
Progress in Tunable Colour Centre Lasers and their Applications

Rene Beigang(*) & Ch.Graesser, S.Marzenell, R.Wallenstein

University of Kaiserslautern, Fachbeich Physik, Kaiserslautern,Germany
Generation of Tunable Ultrashort Light Pulses in the Mid Infrared Spectral
 Range

Georges Boulon
Universite Lyon 1, Laboratoire Physico-Chimie des Materiaux Luminescents,
 Lyon, France
Nonlinear Single Crystal Fibers of Rare Earth-Doped Niobates: Growth by
 L.H.P.G., 
Spectroscopy and Second Harmonic Generation  

Martin Buoncristiani  
Christopher Newport University, Newport News, VA,USA
Tunable Optical Fibre Lasers

Bruce H. T. Chai 
University of Central Florida, Centre for Research and Education in Optics 
and Lasers, Orlando, FL, USA
***

Colin D.Flint
University of London, Birkbeck College, Department of Chemistry, Laser
 Laboratory, London, UK
Up Conversion Processes in Er and Ho Systems

Paul French
Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, Femtosecond Optics Group,
 The Blackett Laboratory, London, UK
Novel Ultrafast Tunable Solid-State Lasers for Real-World Applications 
Including Medical Imaging 

James G. Fujimoto
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Research Laboratory of Electronics,
 Cambridge, MA, USA 
Optical Coherence Tomographic Imaging in Medicine Using Femtosecond Solid 
State Lasers

Werner Gellerman
University of Utah, Department of Physics, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Short Pulse Tunable Colour Centre

Umberto M. Grassano
Universita di Roma Tor Vergata, Dipartimento di Fisica, Roma, Italy
Spectroscopy of Rare Earth Ions in Insulating Crystals and in Glasses

Zdzis aw Jankiewicz(*) & M. Sk rczakowski
Millitary Technical University, Institute of Optoelectronics, Warsaw, Poland
Investigation of Simultaneous Laser Action in Nd:YAG and Cr: Forsterite
 Active Media

Alexander A. Kaminskii(*) & H. Nishioka, K. Ueda, M. Tateno, W. Odajima,
 S. N. Bagayev, A. V. Butashin 
Institute of Crystallography ,Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, Russia
Femtosecond Broadly Tunable(UV-Visible) Cerenkov-type SHG in Insulating
 Nonlinear Laser Crystals

Czes aw Koepke 
N. Copernicus University, Institute of Physics, Toru , Poland
Simple and Complex Schemes of the Excited State Absorption in Solid State

Nikolai  I. Koroteev
M.V. Lomonosov Moscow State University International Laser Center, Moscow,
 Russia
Linaco (LiNaCO3), a New Perspective Crystalline Material for Frequency 
Conversion and Tunable Optical Parametric Generation in UV...VIS

William Krupke
Lawrence Livermore Natl. Lab. , Laser Directorate, CA, USA
A New Class of Diode-Pumped, Mid-IR, Broadly-Tunable Lasers Based on 
Divalent Transition Metals in Tetrahedral Coordination:Cr2+: ZnX (X=S,Se)

Michal Malinowski
Warsaw  University of Technology ,Institute of Microelectronics and
 Optoelectronic, Warsaw, Poland
Recent Advances in Dy3+ Doped Laser Materials

Victor Mikhailov
Belarus State Polytechnical Academy, The International Laser Center , 
Minsk, Belarus
Ultrafast Dynamics of Excited States in Laser Crystals with Impurity
  Centres

Richard Moncorge
Universite de Lyon ,CNRS, Lyon, France
Laser Crystals Based on (Ar) 3d2: Recent Spectroscopic Results 

Stephen A. Payne
University of California, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, 
Livermore, CA, USA
Conduction Band States and 5d-to-4f Laser Transition of Rare Earth
 Ion Dopants

Vladimir Petricevic 
The City College, Physics Department, New York, USA
Growth and Characterization of Cr4+ Doped Laser Crystals

Renata Reisfeld
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Dept. of Inorganic and Analytical
 Chemistry, Jerusalem, Israel
Glass Lasers Tunable in the Visible Range as Slabs or Active Waveguides

Witold Ryba-Romanowski
Polish Academy of Sciences, Institute of Low Temperature and Structure 
Research, Wroc aw, Poland
Analysis of Broad Band, Near Infrared Emission in ABCO4 and ABC3O7 
Crystals (A=Sr, Ba; B=La, Gd; C=Al, Ga) Doped with Rare Earth and 
Transition Metals

Alexander Ryskin
All-Russian Scientific Center "S.I. Vavilov State Optical Institute",
 St. Petersburg, Russia 
Luminescence of Transition-Metal Ions in II-IV Crystals

Boris K. Sevastyanov
Institute of Crystallography, Russian Academy of Sciences,Moscow, Russia
The Spectroscopy of Excited States of Dopant Ions in Laser Crystals

 A. Shkadarevich
Research and Development Centre "LEMT",Minsk, Belarus
Solid State Lasers for Medical Applications

 Boris S. Tsukerblat(*)1 & S. Ostrovskii2, A. Palii2, L. Kuluyk1,S. Popov1
Academy of Sciences of Moldova, Institute of Applied Physics1, Institute 
of Chemistry2, Kishinev, Moldova
Pseudo Jahn-Teller Model of the Luminescence Spectra of Cr (III) Ion in
 Crystals

Andrzej Suchocki(*)& A. Kaminska, M.D. Volnyansky, M.P.Dergachev, V. Yu. 
Ivanov, A.Yu. Kudzin, T.V. Svets
 Polish Academy of Sciences, Institute of Physics, Warsaw, Poland
Polarized fluorescence spectra of lithium heptagermanate crystals doped with
Cr3+

Alexander Voitovich
Academy of Sciences, Institute of Molecular and Atomic Physics,Minsk, 
Belarus 
F3+ Colour Centres in Lithium Fluoride: Production, Spectral and Lasing
 Characteristics

Heinz P. Weber
University of Bern, Institute of Applied Physics, Bern,Switzerland
Tunability of 2 Micron Tm-Ho Fiber Laser

 Instruction for the Abstracts Preparation 
Please type abstracts on one page of A4 paper (21cm   29.7cm)
 using Times font, 12 point, line spacing exactly 15 point (1.25 line)
 according to this plan. The heading should start 4 cm below top of the 
page and the text and the text and all footnotes should finish 3 cm above
 the bottom of the page. Allow margins of 3 cm on the left and 3 cm on the
 right. Indent the new paragraphs 0.5 cm.

  M E A L S  

Participants may obtain breakfast either at their Hotels or  at
  numerous coffee bars and fast-food outlets in the town.

Lunch in the Institute dinning room is included in the Registration fee.

There is a first class Restaurant ("WODNIK") a few minutes walk from
 the Conference Centre where lunch will cost in the region of 10 USD. 

There are many bars and restaurants in the town centre near the hotels.
 A simple dinner may be had for as little as 5 USD.  Top quality 
Restaurants charge in the region of 15 USD.

S O C I A L   P R O G R A M M E

There will be an evening reception on 31 August.

On 1 September evening there will be a typically Polish beer and 
sausage evening.

On 2 September afternoon we are arranging a boat trip along the Odra
 river starting from near the Conference Centre.

On 3 September a concert of baroque music performed by the Altri Stromenti
  group and afterwards the Conference Dinner are planned.

On 4 September afternoon there will be an excursion to the "Ksiaz" castle*
 situated near the Walbrzych city (about 80 km from Wroclaw).

------ Forwarded message ends here ------