Subject: Re: CCLCOM: P. v.d. Valk : Commercial Postings

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 96 19:44:11 EDT

> I am writing this to you   -- copy CCL, CCLCOM --   in reference to
> your email regarding commercial postings.
> The points you mention are exactly the reasons the reasons why
> we have decided t create a separate list for commercial postings
> ( see attached message ). by having 2 lists at their disposal, the
> community will be able to avoid receiving emails they are not
> interested in.
> Those who want only accademic material subscribe to CCL only,
> all others with additional commercial interest subscribe to CCL
> and CCLCOM.

Keep in mind that this is a *very* slippery slope.  The problem is how
you define "commercial".  According to the charter of another list (which
shall remain nameless), a "commercial post" is "any message that might 
benefit the sender financially".  By this definition of commercial, I am
forbidden from responding to ANY posting.  If that were the definition
used on this list, even THIS message would be prohibited.  Why?  Because
I intend to include my email address at bottom, and someone might contact
me and ask what my company does.  To single out a specific individual
(in a positive sense), I have found the postings of Joel Polowin to be 
consisently polite, educated, and informative (hi, Joel!).  As it happens,
Joel works for a company that might be considered a competitor of the one
I work for.  His postings have given me a very positive opinion of him and
(by extension) his company.  A positive opinion of a company is certainly
a good thing for that company, financially, and so by the restrictive definition
above, all of Joel's postings to the CCL list would be prohibited.

This would, in my opinion, be a Very Bad Thing.

The CCL Help File reads, in part:
>"Commercial software" is defined as any software that was sold to
>anyone for more than the cost of handling and documentation. A
>"commercial post" is defined as commercial software advertisements
>posted by the people who develop or sell the software. Posts responding to
>user questions, as well as bug reports, requests for comments, and tips on
>efficient software use are not considered commercial postings and are
>highly encouraged. Commercial software reviews or evaluations
>conducted by people not associated with the software vendor/developer
>are also encouraged.
>
>Those wishing to submit commercial posts to the list must abide by the
>following rules. Short (25 lines or less) commercial postings are allowed.
>They should include a straightforward subject line. Reposts are not
>allowed unless new features/releases become available. Announcements
>of "vaporware" (software that is not yet working or available) are not
>allowed.

I think these current rules are very reasonable.  I also think that the VAST
majority of posts to the CCL list (or at least those that make it out to the
subscribers -- there's no accounting for Krazy Kevin, Jeff Slaton, and the
like) follow the rules.  I think it would be a shame to change the rules
of the CCL list regarding commercial messages.

Jonathan Brecher
CambridgeSoft Corporation
[email-masked]