Subject: CCL ftp is temporarily broken

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 09:47:11 -0400

Dear CCL,

The ftp does not work correctly on the machine which has CCL archives.
This happened when our sysadms upgraded Solaris to a new version.
It is broken in a funny way. You can retrieve the file as:
   ftp www.ccl.net
     ....
   cd directory                e.g., cd /pub/chemistry/archived-messages/96/05
   get file                    e.g., get 11

but it will refuse the file if you want to retrieve as
   get directory/file
e.g.
   get /pub/chemistry/archived-messages/96/05/11

and, hence, all URLs with ftp:// do not work.

Bear with us... The system people are supposed to fix this.

in the meantime, try to use ftp "manually" with cd directory first, or
use gopher URLs since in most cases:
      ftp://www.ccl.net/pub/chemistry/some_file
is equivalent to:
      gopher://www.ccl.net:73/00/some_file

e.g.:
      ftp://www.ccl.net/pub/chemistry/archived-messages/96/05/11
is more or less equivalent to:
      gopher://www.ccl.net:73/00/archived-messages/96/05/11

Jan Labanowski
[email-masked]