Subject: comp.theory award/call for applicants

From: michael page <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 96 22:00:41 0600

from  Subdivision of Theoretical Chemistry, American Chemical Society

--Call for Applications

IBM/Cornell Theory Center
Graduate Student Awards in Computational Chemistry

 Below is an announcement for two Awards in Computational  Chemistry 
that are open to current graduate students.   We are grateful to  IBM  
and the Cornell Theory Center for their support of these awards.

Let me urge you to encourage your graduate students to apply.  The
competition is open to any graduate student (regardless of  citizenship)
who is an ACS member (or whose advisor is an ACS  member).  These awards
are designed to encourage graduate work in  computational chemistry, to
recognize research accomplishments,  and  to stimulate interest in the
Subdivision of Theoretical Chemistry  and the Physical Chemistry 
Division of the ACS.   An Awards Committee will consider all  the 
applicants. The awards applications should be sent to Mark Gordon at 
Iowa State University. Note that the deadline for applications is August 
9.

These two awards,  supported by IBM and the Cornell Theory  Center, will
provide one-time cash stipends of $2500 and $1000 as supplements to 
normal financial aid to  doctoral candidates in the 
research-dissertation  stage in the 1996-1997 academic year.  The Theory 
Center will  provide each awardee up to 1000 service units on its SP2 
parallel computer for  the awardees to actually carry out a portion of 
the awarded  research. The awardees will have access to the consulting 
services  of the Theory Center normally available to all users.  Awardee 
selection will be made on a competitive basis.  Applicants should be 
working on new and innovative computational  chemistry methods or 
applications in theoretical chemistry.

Applicants should prepare a written description of a  computational
chemistry research project that requires high  performance computing, 
with an explanation of the scientific  importance of the project.  
Proposals need to include an estimate  of the computing resources 
required in SP2 cpu-hours.  Applicants  should explain how they plan to 
use the grant funds.  Two letters  of recommendation, including one from 
the student's advisor, along  with a vita and transcript, are required.  
In addition, a PI (other  than the applicant) responsible for the 
applicant's use of the Cornell Center resources must be identified.

Forward applications by  August 9, 1996 to

Prof. Mark Gordon
Department of Chemistry
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa 50011-3111
 [email-masked]

The awardees will be chosen and announced at the Fall 1996 ACS  National
Meeting.