Subject: school on medicinal chemistry

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 11:38:56 +0100 (MET)

Below follows information about the Vth School on Medicinal Chemistry
organized by the Leiden/Amsterdam Center for Drug Research. Please,
do not hesitate to contact me for further information
([email-masked]).

===============================================================

22-25 October 1996, Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands

Vth LACDR SCHOOL ON MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY

The development of new drugs has become largely dependent on
a deeper understanding of human (patho)physiology. 
Nowadays, pharmacology and toxicology,
both in vitro and in vivo, are essential to exploit fundamental
knowledge for the development of drug candidates. As a conse-
quence, both disciplines are more and more applied at an early
stage of drug design to guide synthetic strategies. The course
encompasses basic and advanced aspects of lead finding,
pharmacology and toxicology to provide research chemists in the
pharmaceutical industry with the appropriate background for
their daily practice. Topics include the impact of new research
fields and techniques, such as molecular biology and molecular
modelling, on drug research, as
well as a thorough introduction in pharmacodynamics,
pharmacokinetics and molecular toxicology. New in the 5th
School will be the topic of combinatorial chemistry and
molecular diversity. In addition, three case histories will give a
flavour of chance and strategy in drug development. Essential to
the course is a workshop-like case-study ('the design of a new
drug') in which all participants are actively engaged.

Acclaims from participants to the previous schools: excellent
documentation....; case-study very useful....; very clear review of
drug research today....; lectures very good....; beyond
expectation....; intellectually most stimulating.

COURSE DIRECTION

Prof.dr. H. Timmerman, Director of Research Leiden/Amsterdam
Center for Drug Research
Head Department of Pharmacochemistry, Faculty of Chemistry,
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
His research programme mainly concerns the different histamine
receptors and their ligands. He is a member of the editorial
boards of several international journals and editor of the series
Pharmacochemistry Library (Elsevier) and Methods and
Principles in Medicinal Chemistry (VCH). 

Dr. A.P. IJzerman
Associate Professor, Division of Medicinal Chemistry,
Leiden-/Amsterdam Center for Drug Research, Leiden
University, The Netherlands. 
Dr. IJzerman supervises the receptor research group at the
Center, and is involved in research on purinergic receptors and
drug design. He has ample experience in modern techniques
to study ligand-receptor interactions, such as molecular
modelling/computer graphics. He is a referee to major
international journals in pharmacology, medicinal chemistry and
pharmaceutics.

REGISTRATION INFORMATION
Course location
The course will be held at the Leeuwenhorst Congress Center,
Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands. Tel. 31 252 37 88 88.

Hotel accommodation
A number of fully equipped single rooms have been reserved at
the Congress Center.

Fee
Individuals: Hfl. 2.800,-. This includes course documentation,
mid-session refreshments, lunches, dinners and hotel
accommodation with breakfast (3 nights).
Group fee: Hfl. 2.800,- for the first participant and Hfl. 2.600,-
for the second and following participants from the same
organization.
Ph.D. students: Up to five Ph.D. students may attend the course
for a reduced fee. A statement of the supervisor acknowledging
the status of Ph.D. student should accompany the registration
form. 

Registration and payment: It is advised to forward the
registration form as soon as possible in view of the limited
course capacity of 25 participants. Confirmation of registration
will be returned upon receipt, together with an invoice for the
course fee. Registration will not be final until payment is
received.
The organization reserves the right to cancel the course should
the number of registrations be lower than 12.
Notice of cancellation, with a full refund, will be given before
September 1996.
Cancellations: Cancellations with a full refund may be made
until September 1, 1996. Cancellations between September 1 and
October 1, 1996: 50% refund. No refund is possible on
cancellations received after this date.
Substitutions may be made at any time.
Arrival: October 22, 1996, 9.30-10.00 a.m.
Course language: The official language of the course is English. 

COURSE PROGRAMME
Tuesday, October 22,
 9.30 - 10.00 Registration

=====Pharmacology=====                                                     
                                                       
10.00 - 11.00 Mathematics of receptor-ligand interaction, dr.
A.P. IJzerman, Leiden, NL
11.15 - 12.15 Receptor binding in industrial perspective, dr. M.
Tulp, Weesp, NL
13.30 - 14.30 Signal transduction and second messengers,
prof.dr. A. Bast, Amsterdam NL
14.30 - 15.30 Selection of pharmacological methods, illustrated
with antidepressants, dr. C.L.E. Broekkamp, Oss, NL
16.00 - 17.00 Molecular biology in drug design, dr. R. Leurs,
Amsterdam NL
20.30 - 21.30 Case history 'Taxol', dr. G. Gallant, Brussels, B

Wednesday, October 23,
=====Pharmacology (cont)=====

 9.00 - 10.15 Clinical pharmacology: what happens to your
molecule?, prof.dr. A.F. Cohen, Leiden, NL
10.45 - 11.30 Case study in drug design: introduction, dr. L.
Cohen, Leiden, NL
11.30 - 12.30 The concept of drug selectivity, prof.dr. H.
Timmerman, Amsterdam, NL
13.30 - 17.30 Case study in drug design, participants
20.30 - 21.30 Case history 'Omeprazole', dr. P. Lindberg,
Molndal, Sweden

Thursday, October 24,
=====Fate of drugs=====

 9.00 - 10.30 Introduction to the pharmacokinetics of drugs, dr.
W. Meuldermans, Beerse, B
11.00 - 12.00 Toxicology in industry, dr. W. Coussement,
Beerse, B
12.00 - 13.00 In vitro toxicology in drug research, dr. J.F.
Nagelkerke, Leiden, NL

=====Lead finding and optimization=====

14.30 - 15.30 Combinatorial chemistry, prof.dr. H.C.J.
Ottenheijm, Oss, NL
16.00 - 17.00 Screening of biological materials, dr. S. Wrigley,
Slough, GB
20.30 - 21.30 Case history 'Knowledge protection', dr. H.W.
Raven, Amsterdam, NL

Friday, October 25,
=====Lead finding and optimization (cont.)=====

 9.00 - 10.00 3D-databases in drug design, dr. S. van Helden,
Oss, NL
10.30 - 11.30 Molecular modeling in drug design, prof.dr. J.
Tollenaere, Beerse, B, Utrecht, NL
11.30 - 12.30 Novel targets for drug design, Dr. A.J.M. van
Oosterhout, Utrecht, NL
14.00 - 16.00 Case study in drug design: presentation,
participants

REGISTRATION FORM

Vth LACDR School on Medicinal Chemistry
22-25 October 1996

Name:
Organization: 
Position:
Address:
Postal code: City:
State/country:
Telephone: Fax:

Date of arrival:       Date of departure:

Payment [ ] cheque enclosed [ ] please charge my credit card [ ]
Master/Eurocard [ ] Visa

Card number:
 ..........................................Expiry Date:....................

Signature:                              Date: 

Return by fax or regular mail to: LACDR-Secretariat, c/o Mrs.
F.J. Velthorst, P.O.Box 9502, 2300 RA Leiden,
The Netherlands. Phone: 31 71 5274341; Fax 31 71 5274277