Subject: Re: CCL:M:Summary on MOPAC memory requirement

From: Victor Anisimov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 19:30:21 +0400

>what FORTRAN compiler are you using under FreeBSD?  Is
>it f2c or g77?  I've experienced problems with both.  
>g77 is still in it's infancy and f2c has 'kludgy' macros
>for some of the FORTRAN calls.  The error message looks
>like not enough main memory.

I use f2c and only going to test g77 in a near future.
Compilling of MOPAC and GAMESS go very smoothly whithout
errors. I had to comment time operators only, because of their
absence in f2c.
Are you shure you have enough virtual space to run your
applications ?
As far as I can judge an application runs in virtual memory
and it can detect it is on main memory or in swap. Kernel
itself take decision to put memory pages into main memory or
into swap and this process is under exlusive control of operational
system. That is why application can't demand special sort of
memory and theoretically it must run under any size of main
memory if you have enough summary virtual space.

Victor.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   ***     Institute of Chemical Physics in Chernogolovka     ***
   *                Russian Academy of Sciences                 *
   *                   Dr. Victor M. Anisimov                   *
   *                       senior chemist                       *
   ***                   [email-masked]                    ***
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^