Subject: Workshop on Parallel Programming on the IBM RS/6000 SP

From: [email-masked] (Jeanne C. Butler)
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 08:36:10 -0400

Workshop on Parallel Programming on the IBM RS/6000 SP

Sunday September 29 - Friday October 4, 1996

Cornell Theory Center
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY

The Cornell Theory Center (CTC), a nationally funded high-performance
computing and communications center, is offering a one-week workshop, including
lectures and laboratory sessions, on parallel programming for the IBM SP. CTC's
IBM SP, which consists of 512 RISC processors connected by a high-performance
switch, is the largest of its kind in the world. The SP programming model is
distributed memory.

This workshop will offer sessions on the following topics:

- CTC Essentials:
        What programmers need to know about CTC's IBM SP system
        configuration and administration.

- Using CTC's IBM SP Effectively:
        How to design and code programs that make the best use of the
        IBM SP's features.

- The Message Passing Interface (MPI) Standard Library:
        How to write parallel programs using this message passing
        standard.

- Parallelization Case Study using MPI and
     High Performance Fortran (HPF):
        A step-by-step presentation of converting a serial program to
        a parallel program, and tuning its performance.

All topics will be presented using a mix of lectures and programming
exercises, giving participants hands-on experience with parallel
programming.

A full description of the topics, as well as the preliminary agenda
and registration form, is available online at:
        http://www.tc.cornell.edu/Events/SP.Oct96/

(All trade names referenced are trademarks or registered trademarks of
their respective companies.)

REGISTRATION INFORMATION

To apply, please complete the registration form found at:
        http://www.tc.cornell.edu/Events/SP.Oct96/

Send payment separately to arrive no later than August 16, 1996, to:
        Jeanne Butler
        Conference Assistant
        427 Frank H. T. Rhodes Hall
        Ithaca, NY  14853-3801

FEES:

Academic & Government Participants
Half Day:                  $  25*
Full Day:                   $  50
Full Workshop:      $ 250

Corporate Participants
Half Day:                  $ 110*
Full Day:                 $ 225
Full Workshop:     $ 995

Corporate Partnership Program Members
Half Day:                 $  85*
Full Day:                   $ 175
Full Workshop:      $ 745

*Sunday afternoon and Friday morning are half-day sessions.

Checks should be made payable to Cornell University. Local applicants
may charge the registration fee to the appropriate Cornell University
account number.  Registrations will not be acted upon until the
payment arrives. Refunds will be made to those applicants not accepted
to the workshop. Refunds cannot be made after an applicant is
accepted.

Course attendance is limited. Preference will be given to those who
have already received a CTC allocation, to Corporate Partnership
Program (CPP) members, and to those who have a CTC allocation
application pending. It might be necessary to limit the number of
attendees from any one research project.

OTHER TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES

Applicants should also be aware that CTC will be offering a Virtual
Workshop (VW) over the winter months. This VW will offer World Wide
Web versions of some of the material covered in this workshop, and it
will include interactive logins on CTC's IBM SP for completion of
exercises.  CTC staff members offer consulting support to the VW
participants through e-mail and through the CTC MOO. More information
on this offering can be found at:
        http://www/Edu/VW/future.html

For general information on current and future CTC workshops, go to:
        http://www.tc.cornell.edu/Edu/Upcoming/