Subject: Plackett-Burman Design software

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 14:42:24 -0500

I recently asked what software is available for doing Plackett-Burman
designs.  Thank you to all of you who replied.  Here is a list of the responses
I received.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>From Frits Daalmans, [email-masked]

I found the following references in Box, Hunter & Hunter's "Statistics
for Experimenters" (p. 398):

R.L Plackett, J.P Burman,
"The design of optimum multifactorial experiments",
Biometrika, 33 (1946), p. 305

G.E.P Box, K.B. Wilson,
"On the experimental attainment of optimum conditions",
Roy. Stat. Soc., Ser. B, 13 (1951), p. 1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>From Dimitris K. Agrafiotis, [email-masked]

The NCSS software has a procedure for Placket-Burman design. Check
http://www.ncss.com/ncssupgr.html.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>From Gregory L. Durst, [email-masked]

Experimental Design Calculator (specifically does P-B designs)

CARD -Design of Experiements Software for chemists & Chem Eng.

        Available from: WindowChem Software
                        420 Executive Court North
                        Fairfield, CA 94585
                        phone: 707/864-0845
        -----------------------
JMP - Statistics and DOE

        Available from: SAS Institute
                        SAS Campus Drive
                        Cary, NC  27513

I'm most familiar with JMP for the Mac or PC as well to do DOE. I like
JMP because it does D-optimal designs as well as factorials and variants of.
JMP was written by the folks at SAS.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>From Jose Ignacio Garcia-Laureiro, [email-masked]

There is at least one more possibility, namely, the NEMROD package (NEMROD
states for New Methodology of Research using Optimal Designs). This software
runs on PC, and it is distributed by the Laboratoire de Prospective
Reactionelle et Analyse de l'Information, in the Aix-Marseille University.
The authors are Prof. R. Phan-Tan-Luu and Prof. D. Mathieu. Apart from
Plackett-Burman designs, it contains many other kinds of experimental designs.
My version is in french, but I do not know if an english version is available.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>From Eric Martin, [email-masked]

ECHIP runs on a PC and can do Plackett-Burman designs.  I like the package.  It
is easy to use, flexible, and has good support.  The company is:

ECHIP, Incorporated
724 Yorklyn Road
Hockessin, DE 19707
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>From John Mullay, [email-masked]

I've used Design Ease and found it to be quite useful.  However I mostly use
it for the fractional factorials (rather than Plackett Burman).  It is
especially useful since it gives the confounding patterns which are helpful
in coming up with more complicated designs - you know when there are more
than 2 levels (when aren't there).  Two other products are E-Chip (can only
be leased) and Statgraphics.  I'm sure there are a host of others also.  I
should mention that Design Ease is somewhat limited with regard to graphics
capabilities.  Suggest looking at other fractional factorials so that you
will at least know what the confounding is in case you need to do further work.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I also found the following 2 packages but do not have any first hand experience
with them.

DOE-PC IV
>from SciTech International, 2525 N. Elston Ave, Chicago, IL  60647-2003

EXPERtIMENTAL DESIGN
>from B. Deming, Statistical Programs, 9941 Rowlett, Suite 6, Houston, TX 77075
     Phone: 713-947-1551, Fax: 713-947-0604