Subject: NCIS96 Program and Registration Form

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 08:14:32 -0800 (PST)

-----------------------------------------
NCIS96   National Chemical Information Symposium
July 14-18, 1996, College of Charleston, Lightsey Conference Center
Charleston, South Carolina

NCIS96
Sponsored by the Chemical Information Division of the
American Chemical Society

Hear presentations from leaders in the field of Chemical Information.
Discuss new developments.
Learn about the latest software and hardware developments.
How is the information industry changing?

NCIS96, or the National Chemical Information Symposium, is a symposium 
designed to bring together information specialists from 
industry and academia as well as graduate students and end-users. The
changing roles that each of these individuals plays in chemical 
information will be a primary theme of the symposium. One objective 
of the symposium will be to provide a basic forum for the free 
exchange of ideas. What better way to learn of other people's 
experiences than to learn it from them first-hand. To best achieve this 
exchange, various technical programs as well as social events have been 
planned.

NCIS PROGRAM

Sunday, July 14, 1996
Noon to 6:00pm  	Registration  		Lightsey Conference Center
6:30pm to 10:30pm 	Reception     		Lightsey Conference Center

Monday Morning, 15 July, 1996
Welcoming Remarks: 	Charles E. Gragg (MDL), conference chair
Dorinda Harmon, local conference coordinator 

Keynote speaker:
Bob Buntrock (Buntrock Associates, Inc.):
"Disintermediation: Total and Certain, or Partial and Evolutionary?"

Chemical Structural Conventions
R. J. Feldmann, G. W. A. Milne, T. Ferrin (NIH, UCSF): "The Molecule 
as an Object"
Charles Gragg: "Chemical Structural Guidelines Make Chemistry Easy"
Al Gushurst, David Hughes (MDL): tba
Rudi Potenzone, Lisa Staggenborg (CAS): tba

Monday Afternoon, 15 July, 1996
Vendor Exhibition, Poster Session and Buffet Luncheon

Monday Evening, 15 July, 1996
Excursion to Folly Beach County Park and Fish Fry

Tuesday Morning, 16 July, 1996
Combinatorial Chemistry - The Basics
Wendy Warr (Wendy Warr & Associates): "Combinatorial Chemistry and 
Molecular Diversity: A Review" 
Dean Goddette, Dick Cramer, Bob Clark (Tripos): "INTRODUCTION TO DIVERSITY"
Keith Harrington (Synopsys): "Recent Advances in Combinatorial Chemistry
Information Management Systems"
Nikolai Kopolev, Matt Clark (ISI): "Citation Analysis of Chemical Reactions"
Peter Gund (MDL): "Informatics, Computation and Simulation in
Combinatorial Chemistry and High Throughput Screening"
Kathy Barboriak, Rob Wilgus (Glaxo Wellcome): "Chemical Information
Challenges of Combinatorial Chemistry" 

Tuesday Afternoon, 16 July, 1996
Special Interest Groups (SIGS)
Macintosh - John Kloss
Windows 95 - Charles E. Gragg

Tuesday Evening, July 16, 1996
Lecture on Mobile Chemical Computing: "You CAN Take It With You!"

Wednesday Morning, 17 July, 1996
Internet Chemical Information
Eugene Garfield (The Scientist): "Uses of the Internet"
Steven Bachrach (Northern Illinois U.): "Chemical Information on 
the Internet"
F. Bartow Culp (Purdue U.): "A Mediated Internet Search" 
John Huffman (Indiana U.): "New Tools for Chemists on the Internet"
Rich Lysakowski (Optimize Technologies): "The R&D Team 
Computing/Electronic Notebooks Consortium - the Internet Findings"

Wednesday Afternoon, 17 July, 1996
Internet Workshops on Basic HTML - Allen Richon (Network Science Corp.)

Wednesday Evening banquet, Francis Marion Hotel Ballroom
Sidney Harris, scientific cartoonist, banquet speaker

Thursday Morning, 18 July, 1996
Chemical Information Partnerships
Frank Brown (Glaxo Wellcome): "Collaboration between Glaxo Wellcome and
Oxford Molecular"
Barbara Hurwitz (Hurwitz Associates), Betsy Schlueter (Bayer): 
"Cross Vendor Patent Searching" 
Sheila Ash (Tripos): "THE MDL-TRIPOS COLLABORATION: ITS VALUE TO YOU."
Janusz Wisniewski (Beilstein): "NETFIRE(tm): Successfully Linking the
World Wide Web with a Chemical In-house Database System"
Rich Hong (Hawk Scientific): "Chemical Structure Interchange: A
Foundation for Information Partnerships"
Allen Richon (Network Science Corp.): 
"Publishing Chemical Information: Revolution or Evolution?"

The Symposium registration fee includes the Symposium Reception, all 
technical sessions, the (optional) Internet hands-on workshop, 
instructional materials, coffee breaks, the Monday evening Fish Fry 
at Folly Beach, and the Wednesday evening Symposium Banquet.  Guest 
registration will include the Monday evening Fish Fry at Folly Beach 
and the Wednesday evening Banquet only. Guest registrations must 
accompany a Symposium registration.  Substitutions or name changes 
may be made at any time prior to the conference without penalty.  
Payment may be made by check, MADE PAYABLE TO:  COLLEGE 
OF CHARLESTON, or VISA, or Master Card, or American
Express.  Please do not send cash.  All checks must be made in U.S. 
Funds drawn on a U.S. Bank.  If you reside outside the United
States, please use an International or U.S. Postal Money 
Order.  A Symposium confirmation letter will be mailed within 10 
days of receiving the registration.  Refunds, less a $45 handling 
fee, will be issued only for registrations canceled in writing and
received by July 9, 1996. 

Residence Hall Room Package Includes:  Sunday noon check-in through 
check-out Thursday noon in the College of Charleston's St. Philip
Residence Hall.  Rooms are suite-type configurations with shared 
bathroom facilities within the suite.  Additional nights can be
purchased on a per night basis at $24/person per night, double 
occupancy; or $33/person per night, single occupancy.  Additional
rooms will be available for early arrivals and late stays and may 
be paid upon arrival.  Linens are available for $20, and this cost
in included unless otherwise specified.

Meal Package Includes:
Monday (7/15)   Tuesday (7/16)   Wednesday (7/17)   Thursday (7/18)
[B] [L]         [B] [L] [D]      [B] [L]            [B] [L]
[B]=Breakfast  [L]=Lunch  [D]=Dinner

NCIS    National Chemical Information Symposium
July 14-18, 1996
Registration Form
PART ONE:
Name  ____________________________________________________________
Affiliation  _____________________________________________________
Business Address:(or address to which all correspondence should be sent)
Street  __________________________________________________________
City  ________________________  State ________Country_____________  
Zip/Post code  _____________
Day Phone  _______________________  Fax Number  __________________ 
E-Mail Address(es)  ______________________________________________
Guest Name(s)  ___________________________________________________

PART TWO: 
(Registration Fee includes Excursion and Banquet)
      				    Before June 14   After June 14
Registration Fee, CINF Division Member   	$195    $215	______
Registration Fee, ACS Member          	 	$205    $225	______
Registration Fee, non-ACS Member         	$220    $245	______
Registration Fee, Student Discount (ID required) $50	$70	______
One-Day Reg. Fee  (fees listed are per day)      $85	$90	______
    [please specify day(s)] __________________________________________
Guest Registration*
  (*includes Excursion & Banquet only)        	$50     $55	______
Excursion only [adult]                          $20     $20	______
               [children under 12]              free    free	______
TOTAL REGISTRATION/GUEST/EXCURSION PART TWO: 			______

PART THREE:
Room and Meal Options       		# of People    Price     Total
Single Room/Meal Package/Linens    	# _________   x  $197   ______
Double Room**/Meal Package/Linens  	# _________   x  $161   ______
Meal Package                		# _________   x   $45   ______
 **Double room rate based on per person rate        
Parking in "T" Lot (1 block from conference 		  $10	______
center and dorm)
TOTAL HOUSING/MEALS/LINENS/PARKING PART THREE:       		______

TOTAL OF PARTS TWO AND THREE:                                   ______

Method of Payment:[ ]Check [ ]MoneyOrder [ ]Visa [ ]MasterCard [ ]Amex  
Card number:_______________________________ Expiration date:__________
Signature:____________________________________________________________
Roommate requested :__________________________________________________
[ ] Non-smoker   [ ] Smoker   [ ] Male   [ ] Female
I have special dietary needs:(attach needs) __________________________
I have special mobility requirements:(attach requirements)____________
Return to: 	NCIS96
        	Lightsey Conference Center
           	College of Charleston
     		Charleston, SC 29424-0001
After June 14, registration can only be accepted via fax.  Please 
call first to ensure space is available.  Phone (803) 953-5822 or
Fax (803) 953-1454

[Off-site Housing]
Francis Marion Hotel    (800) 433-3733   $72/person/night (+tax)
A block of rooms with reduced overnight rates has been reserved for 
conference participants.  For reservations, please call the Francis 
Marion Hotel directly.  Please call by July 1st, and identify yourself 
as a participant of NCIS.  These group rates will be available two days 
before and two days after the conference also.  Pre and post convention 
rooms will be confirmed on a space available basis only, except when
provisions have been made in advance.   

[Transportation]
Charleston International Airport is served by AirSouth, USAir, 
Continental, United Express, Midway, and Delta commuter services.  
Transportation to and from the airport can be scheduled IN ADVANCE 
by calling LowCountry Limosine at 1-800-222-4771.  The one-way
fare is $7.00 per person.

NCIS PROGRAM COMMITTEE
Charles E. Gragg			Jacqueline Macia
MDL Information Systems, Inc.		MDL Information Systems, Inc.
1 Sylvan Way, Suite 120			1 Sylvan Way, Suite 120
Parsippany, NJ 07054-3805		Parsippany, NJ 07054-3805
(201)540-9090				(201)540-9090
Fax: (201)540-0236			Fax: (201)540-0236
E-mail: [email-masked]		E-mail: [email-masked]

John Kloss				Dorinda Harmon
Bristol-Myers Squibb			Special Projects Coordinator
P.O. Box 4000				Lightsey Conference Center
Princeton, NJ 08543-4000		160 Calhoun Street
(609)252-5284				Charleston, SC 29424-0001
Fax: (609)252-6280			(803)953-5822
E-mail: [email-masked]			Fax: (803)953-1454
					E-mail: [email-masked]