Subject: From your coordinator with love

From: Jan Labanowski <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 14:35:30 -0400

Dear Netters,

This is your extremely silent coordinator speaking...

First the bad news... I am leaving for over a month for business/pleasure
to Europe, starting yesterday. Yes, in practical terms, I AM NOT HERE NOW,
SO PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME E-MAIL, send it to [email-masked].

I will only occassionally have a chance to check my mailbox over a
slow modem from my laptop. So please send all correspondence
about CCL to [email-masked]. 
And yes, I have a lot of undone business, some of your e-mail unanswered,
etc., etc., but I work 16 hours a day for the last several months (we have
several important priorities here in the Center, and I am luckily/unluckily
involved), and I simply have to stop at 3am or after, when my circuits do not
work... So, please have some understanding... I know you are good people...

I will be back the very end of August. In the meantime, some people will be
helping with managing CCL, to the extent they can... Please, again,
try to be patient, since the alternative would be to close the list.
The prime "care-taker" is my underpaid student assistant: Alan Chalker:
[email-masked]. But he cannot be here full time, so please execise compation...

The GOOD NEWS now... The CCL received the support from NSF. I am really
grateful for it, and for the good marks the list got from most reviewers.
While the support is smaller than I wish it was, we all understand the
difficult times, budget cuts, and the priorities of NSF, which are not
necessarily to fund projects like that (it so happens, nobody wants to fund
projectes like that). So we are all very lucky, since, otherwise
I would have to shut down the list. I will elaborate on this when I
am back, but this means, we have to find ways, to make list self
supporting within a 3 years period. It also means that to satisfy myself,
yourself, and the funding agency, I will have to improve the list. When
I am back, I will tell you about my priorities with the amount of resources
I have, and will solicit your comments.

Thanks for you continuing support and occassional reprimends...
Yours Coordinator,

Jan Labanowski,
[email-masked]