Subject: performance of PPro

From: "Rochus Schmid" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 11:05:52 -0600

Dear Netters,

I know that this issue appears quite often on this list. I checked a number of
webpages concerning benchmarks but couldn't find the infos. Please forgive me.

We want to buy a new workstation for running e.g. Gaussian or related
QM-packages. Because of beeing confident with SGI INDY's we checked them first.
However, we found that the Pentium Pro 200 MHz has HIGHER SPECfp95 values than
the R5000 150 MHz and is MUCH cheaper.

But I guess that SPECfp95 is not the whole story.
Does anyone of you have experience about the performance in "real applications"
of PPro Systems running LINUX (e.g. in comparison with R5000 SC 150MHz INDY
running IRIX).

Since I can buy two PPro for one INDY this is a real problem for me.
Thank you very much in advance. I will summarize.

Rochus

-- 

********************************************************************************
Rochus Schmid
Technische Universitaet Muenchen	Tel. 	++49 89 2891 3140
Lehrstuhl f. Anorganische Chemie 1	Fax. 	++49 89 2891 3088
Prof. W. A. Herrmann			E-mail:	
Lichtenbergstrasse 4			[email-masked]
85747 Garching
********************************************************************************