Subject: CCL:biomedical workshop announcement

From: Alexander J Ropelewski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 13:45:46 -0400 (EDT)

BIOMEDICAL WORKSHOPS
                   PITTSBURGH SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER
                      August 25-28, 1996

The Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center is offering an
"ADVANCED NUCLEIC ACID AND PROTEIN SEQUENCE ANALYSIS" workshop.
The workshop is open to researchers who have previously attended one of the
PSC's annual "Nucleic Acid and Protein Sequence Analysis" workshops or who
have previous experience with computerized sequence analysis.  The
workshop will build on previous experience to teach techniques for
what is commonly referred to as "homology modeling", specifically the methods
known as threading techniques. This involves fitting the sequences of
proteins whose structure is not known to the known three-dimensional structure
of another protein. The workshop will feature the threading techniques
developed by Dr. Stephen H. Bryant of the Computational Biology Branch,
National Center for Biotechnology Information, National Library of Medicine.
Dr. Bryant's work focuses on empirical energy functions that measure the
complementarity of sequence and folding motif and on algorithms for
rapid threading. His group is also developing computer programs for
automatically creating homology models derived from core structural motifs
identified by other sequence analysis techniques.

Instructors are:
Dr. Stephen H. Bryant, National Center for Biotechnology Information,
   National Library of Medicine
Dr. Michael Gribskov, San Diego Supercomputer Center and
Dr. Hugh B. Nicholas Jr., Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center.

APPLICATION DEADLINE: July 17, 1996.

For additional information, please refer to
     http://www.psc.edu/biomed/workshops.html
CONTACT INFORMATION: Nancy Blankenstein, Biomedical Program Assistant,
(412)268-4960, [email-masked]

                               **********

                     PITTSBURGH SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER
                     ADVANCED SEQUENCE ANALYSIS WORKSHOP

                               APPLICATION

Name:          
________________________________________________________________

Affiliation:   ________________________________________________________________

Address:       ________________________________________________________________
           (Business)
           ________________________________________________________________

           ________________________________________________________________
           (Home)
           ________________________________________________________________

Telephone:  ____________________________         ______________________________
               (Business)                     (Home)

*Social Security Number:  _______-_____-_______   
Citizenship:___________________

Electronic Mail Address:_______________________________________________________

Status: ___Graduate  ___Post-doctoral Fellow  ___Faculty  ___Other (specify)

Please indicate specifically any special housing, transportation or dietary
arrangements you will need: __________________________________________

How did you learn about this workshop:_________________________________________

REQUIREMENTS:

Applicants must submit a completed application form and a cover letter.  The
letter should describe, in one or two paragraphs, the sequence analysis
problems encountered in your research, and how participating in the workshop
will enhance this research.  Please include a brief statement describing your
level of experience with computers.  Faculty members, staff and post-docs
should provide a curriculum vitae.  Graduate students must have a letter
of recommendation from a faculty member.

Please return all application materials to:
          Biomedical Workshop Applications Committee
          Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
          4400 Fifth Avenue, Suite 230C
          Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Direct inquiries to: Nancy Blankenstein, [email-masked] or 412/268-4960.

*Disclosure of Social Security Number is voluntary.

PSC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age,
creed, national or ethnic origin, or handicap.