Subject: [Please, Help me] Problem with Solid IMPACT!!

From: Chai Chong Chul <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 22:27:50 +0900 (KST)

Hi CCLer's 

We recently purchased two sets of SOLID IMPACT Indigo2 r4.4k 250 Mhz
 machines ( IRIX 5.3)

We are going to upgrade r4.4k to r10k. 
(of course, the OS will be upgraded to IRIX 6.X)

Our main problem is graphic processing speed of  these machines.  

We use Quanta4.1/CHARMM software. 

But the graphic display speed is "TERRIBLY SLOW" . :-(

In our thought, the problem results from one of following reasons. 

1) There might be bottle-neck in  SOLID IMPACT with R4.4K chips. 

   -> If this is the problem,  will it be solved by upgrading to r10k ?

2) New Open GL library is not completely compatible to graphic programs 

  (for example, Quanta4.1..) based on old GL graphic library.
  
  This program is tested for EXTREME indigo2 r4.4 150 Mhz,(irix 5.2, 
   and iris5.3) and GR2-XS24 indigo2 r4k 100 MHZ (irix 5.3)

   but, it worked with no serious problems.  

Is there any other reasons you can think of ?? 

Now we're very afraid of low quality of solid impact graphic card.

Do you think we had a very wrong choice for these specs??  X-(

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssseeee help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish to get optimistic reply soon.!!_

Thanks a lot..
___________________________________________________________________________
 ___  ___
 | |  // A I S T   Chong Chul Chai(e-mail:[email-masked])
 | |-//  1 9 9 5   Department of Chemistry and Center for Molecular Science.
 | |-\\            Korea Adv. Inst. of Sci. & Tech., Tel: 042-869-2853.
 | |  \\           373-1, Kusungdong, Yusungku, Taejon, 305-701 Korea.
 ---  ---          alcohol in ara,csqueen,kids bbs
                   http://muse.kaist.ac.kr/~ccchai
============================================================================