Subject: G94: Splitting RWF.

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 12:37:05 +1100 (EETDT)

Hi folks,

I am trying to work out how to split the RWF file between
a local disk and a remote NFS disk. /scr/qchem/ is the local disk.
/lacescr/ is the remote disk mount point. Each are 2Gb but since 
there is a bit on them I played save and used 230Mwords.

1. If I give 230 as the size of both files it straight away fails and
tells me there is no file to extend.

2. If I give -1 for the local file as below, it fails with
about 1.5Gb on the local disk and nothing on the remote one.

 *************************************************
 Gaussian 94:  DEC-AXP-OSF/1-G94RevC.3 26-Sep-1995
                    23-Jul-1996
 *************************************************
 %chk=/usr/users/b_duke/chk/ga2h2_dbm
 %RWF=/lacescr/,230,/scr/qchem/,-1
 Default route:  MaxDisk=250000000
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------
 # mp2 gen 5d scf=direct geom=checkpoint guess=read freq MaxDisk=450000
 000
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------

     alpha-alpha T2 =       0.1696787838D-01 E2=     -0.9422155339D-01
     alpha-beta  T2 =       0.1112765387D+00 E2=     -0.4149900717D+00
     beta-beta   T2 =       0.1696787838D-01 E2=     -0.9422155339D-01
 ANorm=    0.1070145923D+01
 E2=       -0.6034331785D+00 EUMP2=       -0.38482541950061D+04
                   PickT4: no shell combinations can fit!
 NKLS2p=          49 NKLS2=          49 MaxCom=          37
 Error termination via Lnk1e in /usr/users/qchem/g94/l1111.exe.
 Job cpu time:  0 days  2 hours 46 minutes 56.7 seconds.
 File lengths (MBytes):  RWF= 1600 Int=    0 D2E=    0 Chk=    3 Scr=    1

3. If I swap these round and give -1 for the remote disk and 230 for the 
local disk, it writes to the remote disk and then fails in a different way
 .
 *************************************************
 Gaussian 94:  DEC-AXP-OSF/1-G94RevC.3 26-Sep-1995
                    24-Jul-1996
 *************************************************
 %chk=/usr/users/b_duke/chk/ga2h2_dbm
 %RWF=/lacescr/,-1,/scr/qchem/,230
 Default route:  MaxDisk=250000000
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------
 # mp2 gen 5d scf=direct geom=checkpoint guess=read freq MaxDisk=450000
 000
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------

 Range of M.O.s used for correlation:    19   138
 NBasis=   138 NAE=    32 NBE=    32 NFC=    18 NFV=     0
 NROrb=    120 NOA=    14 NOB=    14 NVA=   106 NVB=   106
 Semi-Direct transformation.
 ModeAB=           4 MOrb=            32 LenV=       7488722
 LASXX=     16071592 LTotXX=    16071592 LenRXX=    32641304
 LTotAB=    16569712 MaxLAS=    20132544 LenRXY=           0
 NonZer=    48712896 LenScr=    80558066 LnRSAI=    20132544
 LnScr1=    37687538 MaxDsk=   450000000 Total=    171019452
 SrtSym=           T
fsync failed in NtrExt1.

4. If I run the same job on an identical Dec alpha writing to
just one 4Gb disk, the job works fine. The checkfile and com
file were just copied across from the first machine. 

So, the job is OK. What is going on? How does the file splitting work?
Why does it start writing on the file that I specified as -1, rather
than the first file on the line. Obviously I want to write to the
local file first and only extend to the NFS mounted disk if I have to.
I would appreciate any help and advice on this question.

Cheers, Brian.
-- 
        Associate Professor Brian Salter-Duke (Brian Duke)
School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences, Northern Territory University,
  Darwin, NT 0909, Australia.  Phone 08-89466702. Fax 08-89410460
e-mail: [email-masked]  WWW http://lacebark.ntu.edu.au/chemistry