Subject: Software for Review

From: "Stephen R. Heller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 16:09:00 -0400 (EDT)

25 July, 1996

Subject:  Computer Software for Review

     As the Software Review Editor for the ACS Journal of
Chemical Information and Computer Science (JCICS) I often get
software for review in the journal.   I have three (3) new
software/database products.  I am looking for people who are
willing to review these software products.  In return for the
review which is published in JCICS you get to keep the software
or database.  The review should be completed in 1-3 months.  The
length of the review is 4-10 double spaced typed pages.  Sample
reviews can be found in most of the recent issues of JCICS.

     Please try to give me some (short) reason to choose you over
another person. 

     I have tried this approach for about the past six years and
it is working reasonably well. (REMINDER: For those who haven't
finished your reviews of software sent months and months ago,
this last sentence does not apply to you!)  As a result, I am
continuing this new method to find reviewers using this e-
mail/user group system.  I reserve the right to abandon this if
it is a problem, or inappropriate.  I will not notify people if I
have found a reviewer.  If you don't hear from me within a few
days I have chosen someone else to review the particular package.

     As I get many, many, (too many) replies to this message,
please do not respond after 27 July 1996 (Saturday), as I am sure
the software will be gone by then.

     I can be reached on Internet ([email-masked]).

     PLEASE BE SURE TO INCLUDE AN STREET ADDRESS, PHONE, and FAX
NUMBER!!!  (I send the software by Federal Express.)  Without
this information I WILL NOT consider your request.

     Steve Heller

The packages I now have are:

1. Accord for Microsoft Excel (PC Edition), version 2.0 from
Synopsys in Leeds, UK.  Allows one to manage and analyze chemical
data within the Excel spreadsheet program. Works with Excel
version 5.0. Requires Excel.

2. Gower Chemical Reference Series of five databases consisting
of five CD-ROM's from Ashgate Publishing. The company has
requested that just ONE person review all six products to give a
comprehensive review of all of the data available in these
reference series.  The six are:
a. Cosmetics & Personal Care

b. Food Additives
c. Plastic & Rubber Additives
d. Pharmaceutical Additives
e. Industrial Surfactants
f. Gardner's Chemical Synonyms & Tradenames

3. Cognos, version 1.3 for the Macintosh.  Cognos is a reaction
retrieval system from InfoChem in Munich, Germany.  The system
comes on a CD-ROM.

Steve Heller, USDA, ARS, Plant Genome Project
Bldg. 005, Room 337
Beltsville, MD 20705-2350 USA
Phone: 301-504-6055   FAX: 301-504-6231
E-mail:  [email-masked]
WWW:     www.hellers.com/~steve