Subject: IBM/Cornell Theory Award - call for apps.

From: michael page <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 96 16:40:58 0600

from  Subdivision of Theoretical Chemistry, American Chemical Society

--Call for Applications

IBM/Cornell Theory Center
Graduate Student Awards in Computational Chemistry
NOTE APPROACHING DEADLINE

 Below is an announcement for two Awards in Computational  Chemistry 
that
are open to current graduate students.   We are grateful to  IBM  and 
the
Cornell Theory Center for their support of these awards.

Let me urge you to encourage your graduate students to apply.  The
competition is open to any graduate student (regardless of  citizenship)
who is an ACS member (or whose advisor is an ACS  member).  These awards
are designed to encourage graduate work in  computational chemistry, to
recognize research accomplishments,  and  to stimulate interest in the
Subdivision of Theoretical Chemistry  and the Physical Chemistry 
Division
of the ACS.   An Awards Committee will consider all  the applicants. The
awards applications should be sent to Mark Gordon at Iowa State 
University.
Note that the deadline for applications is August 9.

These two awards,  supported by IBM and the Cornell Theory  Center, will
provide one-time cash stipends of $2500 and $1000 as supplements to 
normal
financial aid to  doctoral candidates in the research-dissertation  
stage
in the 1996-1997 academic year.  The Theory Center will  provide each
awardee up to 1000 service units on its SP2 parallel computer for  the
awardees to actually carry out a portion of the awarded  research. The
awardees will have access to the consulting services  of the Theory 
Center
normally available to all users.  Awardee selection will be made on a
competitive basis.  Applicants should be working on new and innovative
computational  chemistry methods or applications in theoretical 
chemistry.

Applicants should prepare a written description of a  computational
chemistry research project that requires high  performance computing, 
with
an explanation of the scientific  importance of the project.  Proposals
need to include an estimate  of the computing resources required in SP2
cpu-hours.  Applicants  should explain how they plan to use the grant
funds.  Two letters  of recommendation, including one from the student's
advisor, along  with a vita and transcript, are required.  In addition, 
a
PI (other  than the applicant) responsible for the applicant's use of 
the
Cornell Center resources must be identified.

Forward applications by  August 9, 1996 to

Prof. Mark Gordon
Department of Chemistry
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa 50011-3111
 [email-masked]

The awardees will be chosen and announced at the Fall 1996 ACS  National
Meeting.