Subject: PPro benchmarks and math libraries

From: Michael Wrinn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 96 10:48:00 PDT

Greetings, Rochus Schmid,

It was interesting to read your CCL post today summarizing PPro results 
for chemistry - particularly the GAMESS results from Pedro Vazquez, 
since we'd run some of those same tests here.  A comparison:

GAMESS:
Bench       10     04     13   
==============================
PPro200    43.6   69.3   163.7  GNU Fortran (reported by Vazquez)
PPro200    22.1   36.3   134.0  MS Fortran, Intel math libraries

>From this small sample, it seems the choice of compiler and math kernels
can be significant.  I agree with you, though; there is little real data 
as yet.

The Intel "Math Kernel Library" (BLAS and FFT) is available without 
charge; contact [email-masked] if interested.  (We'll 
have this on a web page Real Soon Now.)

regards,

Michael Wrinn

Workstation Technology Lab
Intel Corporation
[email-masked]