Subject: PPro benchmarks and math libraries

From: Michael Wrinn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 96 10:48:00 PDT

Greetings, Rochus Schmid,

It was interesting to read your CCL post today summarizing PPro results 
for chemistry - particularly the GAMESS results from Pedro Vazquez, 
since we'd run some of those same tests here.  A comparison:

GAMESS:
Bench       10     04     13   
==============================
PPro200    43.6   69.3   163.7  GNU Fortran (reported by Vazquez)
PPro200    22.1   36.3   134.0  MS Fortran, Intel math libraries

From this small sample, it seems the choice of compiler and math kernels 
can be significant.  I agree with you, though; there is little real data 
as yet.

The Intel "Math Kernel Library" (BLAS and FFT) is available without 
charge; contact [email-masked] if interested.  (We'll 
have this on a web page Real Soon Now.)

regards,

Michael Wrinn

Workstation Technology Lab
Intel Corporation
[email-masked]