Subject: HESSIAN in GAMESS

From: "Park, Tae-Yun" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 14:45:55 +0200 (DFT)

Dear all,

I'm trying to do some vibrational analysis for some
carbenium ions using GAMESS.  At the end of the result
file, I always have the following message, which makes
me quite uncomfortable:

     *******************************************************
     * THIS IS NOT A STATIONARY POINT ON THE MOLECULAR PES *
     *     THE VIBRATIONAL ANALYSIS IS NOT VALID !!!       *
     *******************************************************

I've tried with different optimization method available in 
$STATPT group, but it was unsuccessful.  Is there any other
way to avoid this message?

One of my input file for C-C(+) carbenium ion is the 
following(I need 6-31G* basis set with MP2 level for
enough accuracy):

----------------------------------------------------------------
 $CONTRL SCFTYP=RHF RUNTYP=HESSIAN ICHARG=1 COORD=ZMTMPC 
  MPLEVL=2 NZVAR=15 $END
 $SYSTEM MEMORY=1000000 $END
 $BASIS GBASIS=N31 NGAUSS=6 $END
 $FORCE METHOD=ANALYTIC $END
 $STATPT METHOD=SCHLEGEL $END
!          <-- This has been tried with other methods
 $GUESS GUESS=HUCKEL $END
 $SCF DIRSCF=.TRUE. $END
 $DATA
  RHF/6-31G* AM1 GEOMETRY
  C1
  C     .000000 0     .000000 0     .000000 0       0    0    0
  C    1.414000 1     .000000 0     .000000 0       1    0    0
  H    1.122928 1  115.373840 1     .000000 0       1    2    0
  H    1.144622 1  109.014397 1  125.070099 1       1    3    2
  H    1.144376 1  101.224930 1 -114.885567 1       1    4    3
  H    1.110789 1  121.301445 1 -179.752487 1       2    1    3
  H    1.110784 1  121.852570 1     .261124 1       2    1    3
 $END
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Many thanks to all the responses in advance.

				Sincerely,

				     Park, TAE-YUN    
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
State University of Ghent
Laboratorium voor Petrochemische Techniek
Krijgslaan 281, Blok S5  
9000 Gent, Belgium	  
TEL:+(32)-0(9)-264-4527
FAX:+(32)-0(9)-264-4999
e-mail: [email-masked]
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=