Subject: CCL: ChemExhibit cut & paste

From: Tony Dyson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 13:18:42 +1000

We are using the ChemExhibit package by Molecular Arts to prepare
figures for publication, depicting 3-D structures obtained from our
theoretical calculations. In some ways we have been very happy with the
package, because it provides a fairly simple yet powerful set of
manipulation tools for dealing with 3-D structures.

There has been one aspect of the system though that has caused us an
immense amount of frustration. This involves cutting and pasting 3-D
figures from ChemExhibit into other Windows applications. Under Windows
for Workgroups 3.11, this produces very poor printed results. For
example, if I "select all" in Exhibit and copy and paste into Paint,
then immediately print, all colour information from the atoms is lost
and the output contains solid black circles instead of shaded atoms.
Also the text becomes very chunky and jagged. Meanwhile printed output
directly from Exhibit is very good.

Pasting into MS-Word 6 is marginally better but still the quality of the
printed figures is much degraded with respect to direct output from
Exhibit.

I would be interested to know whether other users of this package have
experienced similar difficulties, and even more interested to hear about
any workarounds or fixes that may exist.

	Tony Dyson

-- 
================================================================

  Mr. Anthony J. Dyson		[email-masked]
  Dept. of Physics		phone: +61 49 21 5565
  University of Newcastle	fax:   +61 49 21 6907
  Callaghan, Australia, 2308

================================================================