Subject: META Tags in HTML

From: "Richard Bone" <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Aug 1996 18:16:09 -0700

Subject:      META Tags in HTML

Just a couple of follow-ups to Henry Rzepa's helpful comment:

I was recently adding a URL to Infoseek's database;  they have
a useful help-file which describes the use of META tags. It's
probably worth taking a look.

I have been gradually, over time, amending HTML documents that
I have created to contain 'accurate' META  tags.

If anyone has, like me, used Microsoft's freebies to create
HTML straight from, e.g., Word documents, they will likely have
noticed that the raw HTML which is created contains by default
the META:

<META NAME="GENERATOR" CONTENT="Internet Assistant for Micros
oft Word 2.0">

Of course, this is probably great for Bill Gates  et al., but 
not much use to the rest of the surfing world.

Richard Bone

__________________________________________________________

Richard G. A. Bone, PhD.
Terrapin Technologies, Inc.      
750-H Gateway Blvd.
South San Francisco
CA 94080-7020
USA

Tel. +1 (415) 244 9303
FAX  +1 (415) 244 0705
E-mail  [email-masked]
http://www.sosei.com/Companies/Terrapin.html