Subject: 1998 Herman Skolnik Award Nominations

From: Chuck Huber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 12:00:05 -0700 (PDT)

The following message has been posted to the Chemical Information, 
Chemical Education, Chemical Structure Indexing and Computational 
Chemistry listservs.  Please excuse any duplication.

Chuck Huber
Davidson Library
University of California Santa Barbara
[email-masked]

Call for Nominations

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The American Chemical Society
Division of Chemical Information (CINF)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

1998 Herman Skolnik Award

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ACS Division of Chemical Information established this Award to
recognize outstanding contributions to and achievements in the
theory and practice of chemical information science.  The Award is
named in honor of the first recipient, Herman Skolnik.

By this Award, the Division of Chemical Information hopes to
encourage the continuing advancement of chemical information
science in areas such as:

        Design of new and unique computerized information systems;

        Preparation and dissemination of chemical information;

        Editorial innovations;

        Design of new indexing, classification, and notation systems;

        Chemical nomenclature;

        Structure-activity relationships; and

        Numerical data correlation and evaluation.

The Award consists of a $2000 honorarium and a plaque.  The
recipient is expected to give an address at the time of the Award
presentation.  The 1998 Award Symposium will take place at the
216th American Chemical Society National Meeting in Boston on
Tuesday, August 25, 1998.  In recent years, the Award Symposium
has been organized by the recipient.

Since its establishment in 1976, the Award has been presented to the
following individuals at a national ACS meeting:

        Herman Skolnik                  1976
        Eugene Garfield                 1977
        Fred A. Tate                    1978
        William J. Wiswesser            1980
        Ben H. Weil                     1981
        Robert Fugmann                  1982
        Russell J. Rowlett, Jr.         1983
        Montagu Hyams                   1984
        Dale B. Baker                   1986
        William Theilheimer             1987
        David R. Lide, Jr.              1988
        Michael F. Lynch &
        Stuart A. Marson                1989
        Ernst Meyer                     1990
        W. Todd Wipke                   1991
        Jacques-Emile Dubois            1992
        Peter Willett                   1993
        Alexandru T. Balaban            1994
        Reiner Luckenbach &
        Clemens Jochum                  1995
        Milan Randic                    1996
        Johann Gasteiger                1997

Nomination letters should describe the nominee's contributions to
the field of chemical information and should include supportive
materials such as a biographical sketch and a list of publications and
presentations.  Three seconding letters are also required.  The
deadline for nominations for the 1998 Award is July 1, 1997.
Nominations should be sent to:

        Charles F. Huber
        CINF Awards Chair
        Davidson Library
        University of California
        Santa Barbara, CA  93106
        Phone: (805)893-2762   Fax: (805)893-8620
        E-mail:  [email-masked]