Subject: Editing PS files

From: Tom Ngo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 14:47:01 -0700

>On Sep 6, 10:11am, Mark D Shenderovich wrote:
>> I have a closely related question. Does anyone know a program that can
>> EDIT PS files. The minimum requirement is the ability to blow up / reduce
>> images along each axis. Preferable platforms are SGI or IBM RS/6000.
>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>> Mark Shenderovich.

Robert Fraczkiewicz replied:
>Yes. It's called vi, or emacs, or any other screen editor on any platform ;-)

Here's another option.  As I was surprised to find out recently, there is a
third-party XTRA for Macromind FreeHand that supposedly allows one to
import a PS file and edit it.  Because PS is a complete language and not
just a graphics format, the PS files written out by this XTRA undoubtedly
are watered down compared to the imported files (if you've got code in your
input file that, say, computes prime numbers, it probably won't get written
to the exported file).  But for the graphical elements---lines, curves,
text---it does stand a chance of doing the right thing.  I would imagine
that a lot of the internal structure in the original file is lost; for
example, if the input file contains multiple copies of an image created by
transforming a single source copy, the output file will probably contain
each copy explicitly.

You'd have to buy Macromind FreeHand and the TechPool XTRA; check out the
URL below.

http://www.macromedia.com/software/xtras/freehand/techpool.html

Hope this helps,

--Tom Ngo

===========================================================================
  Tom Ngo                                             Voice: 415/842-6037
  Interval Research Corporation                         Fax: 415/354-0872
  1801 Page Mill Rd, Bldg C                   Lat. 37.409, Long. -122.153
  Palo Alto, CA  94304-1216                  http://www.interval.com/~ngo

           "Never confuse motion with action." --Ben Franklin