Subject: Re: CCL:Software from SGI PS to Mac PS?

From: " nick.c " <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Sep 1996 11:30:32 -0800

> Does anyone know of a free or shareware that can convert a SGI
> postscript file to a macintosh postscript one?
> When I used "Mac GS Viewer" it created a PICT file from a SGI PS,
> but I could't know how to make a postscript file for mac.
> I appreciate your any advices.

    Assuming you want to embed PS files created on an SGI into
      Macintosh documents such as ChemDraw or Miscrosoft Word,
      the first step is to convert the PS file (as folks have
      already mentioned there is only one kind of PS) to an
      EPS (encapsulated postcript) file.  These EPS files can
      be easily imported into drawing and word processing programs.
      
    There are UNIX solutions for converting PS to EPS files, but
      since you specifically mentioned the Mac platform, let me
      suggest a great Mac utility called PS2EPS+ by Peter Lerup.
      
    Basically, all you have to do is DL the asci PS file to your
      Mac, then drop in on PS2EPS+ and save the rendered file
      as either PICT, TIFF, (or what you want) EPS.  Then drop
      the EPS file on ChemDraw or Word and it will open an 
      untitled document with the EPS object as the only thing
      in the file.  Copy that object, and paste it wherever
      you like.  Note, the image you see on your screen is
      a bitmapped aproximation of the object--when it prints
      it will look a lot nicer (smoother, sharper).
      
    PS2EPS+ requires a "bounding box" comment in the PS header,
      not all PS output has this comment.  If yours doesn't
      open the PS file with a text editor (like the essential
      BBEdit :-), then take a look at the coordinates in the
      PS file and add a bounding box comment that exceeds the
      coords in the PS file in X, -X, Y, -Y directions.  For
      an example of bounding box comment, look at the included
      example files in PS2EPS+.
      
    BTW, you can DL PS2EPS+ from your local info-mac mirror,
      I think I found it in the "Print" directory.  Luck,

 -------------------= Nicholas C. DeMello, Ph.D. =--------------------

   Internet: [email-masked]        _/   _/  _/  _/_/_/   _/   _/  
        AOL: codeweaver               _/_/ _/  _/  _/   _/  _/_/_/ 
        CIS: 71232,766               _/ _/_/  _/  _/       _/ _/    
       http://www.chem.ucla.edu/~nick/   _/  _/   _/_/_/  _/   _/