Subject: Masters degree in Comp Chem over the internet.

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 09:03:32 +1100 (EETDT)

To all CCLers.

Greetings. I am posting this to several lists that have an interest 
in Computational Chemists. Apologies to those who receive it several
times.

Four Australian Computational Chemists have come together to
offer a taught Masters degree in Computational Chemistry which
will be taught in part entirely in distance education mode using 
the World Wide Web. We believe this proposal to be highly innovative
and possibly unique. The four chemists are Brian Salter-Duke (Brian 
Duke in the literature) from the Northern Territory University, 
Margaret Wong from the Swinburne University of Technology, Ted 
LLoyd from the Victorian College of Pharmacy, Monash University 
and Brian Yates from the University of Tasmania.

The course will take a very full 12 months to complete. The first 
8 months will consist of six core units:-

The Scope of Computational Chemistry
Molecular Modelling
Approximate Quantum Chemistry
Basic QSAR
Ab initio Quantum Chemistry
Molecular Mechanics and Dynamics

and one out of three electives:-

Advanced Molecular Modelling
Advanced ab initio Quantum Chemistry
Advanced QSAR

This part of the course will be taught entirely over the web. It
can be completed part-time over a period up to 20 months.

The second part of the course is a four month project carried out
as a full time student in one of the four universities.

The course starts in Febuary 1997. Fees have not yet been finally
determined, but they are likely to be around AUS$12,000 (about 
US$9,500) for the whole course.

Accreditation for the course as a Master of Science in Computational
Chemistry has already been obtained at the Northern Territory 
University. Accreditation is close to being obtained for a Master 
of Applied Science in Computational Chemistry at Swinburne University 
of Technology. The accreditation process is still being followed at 
Monash University. Students will be able to take out any of the degrees 
offered. The university where the project is carried out will be the 
normal degree to be obtained. The project can be done in any of the four 
universities but for various reasons the degree will only be offered 
by some of the four universities in 1997.

Students from all over the world are welcome. You will need
good internet access and a graphics browser. Materials have been
designed to suit a range of browsers. Other software will be
made available over the internet from our home sites.

For more information go to the Home page of the project that
resulted in this development:-

http://www.chem.swin.edu.au/CAUT.html

or direct to a page that describes the degree:-

http://lacebark.ntu.edu.au/msc/

We welcome expressions of interest and comments on this proposal.

-- 
        Associate Professor Brian Salter-Duke (Brian Duke)
School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences, Northern Territory University,
  Darwin, NT 0909, Australia.  Phone 08-89466702. Fax 08-89410460
e-mail: [email-masked]  WWW http://lacebark.ntu.edu.au/chemistry