Subject: CCL:Hewlett-Packard Printers and Unix Boxes

From: Stefan Reichling <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 09:27:09 +0200

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Netters:
> 
> Has anyone had any success using an HP printyer that was directly attached to a
> Unix box?  If so where were any requisite drivers found?
> 
> Will post results.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> John
> 
 We use a HP4MPlus with a SGI workstation. For the SGI's there exists a
printing tool called Impressario, which covers the requiered driver.

steve

+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
|  Stefan Reichling                                                   |
|                                     Anorganisch-Chemisches Instiut  |
|  Tel +49-6221-548649                   Universitaet Heidelberg      |
|  Fax +49-6221-545707                      69120 Heidelberg          |
|  e-mail: [email-masked]      Germany              | 
|  www: http://ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de/~il1                          |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: Jie Yuan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 10:24:39 -0400 (EDT)

> printing tool called Impressario, which covers the requiered driver.

To use a PostScript printer on SGI (or other Unix boxes), you can simply
use the "generic postsctipt" interface of lp or lpr.  Impressario can do
some more tricks, but is not required for most operations.  Usually, you
would like to pipe the print job through lptops, but again, it is not
required.

If you print graphics (gif, tiff, pict, etc.) files, Impressario becomes
very useful, but still not indespensible.  For example, xv can read those
files and prints to a generic PS printer.

My purpose is to encourage those who don't have Impressario, not to
discourage those who have and maybe love Impressario.

Jie
-- Jie Yuan, PhD - U. Cincinnati - Pharmacology & C.B. --
== POBox 670575, Cin., OH 45267-0575  =  513-558-2352  ==
== [email-masked] = www.uc.edu/~yuanj =  using Pine   ==
== finger -l [email-masked] for my PGP pub. key=