Subject: query form

From: Lists Owner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 21:34:58 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Netter,

This message comes from the Institute of Physical Chemistry, Peking 
University, Beijing. It has been cross-forwarded so if you have 
received more than one copy, we apologize.
 
We have maintained an on-line bioinformatics server here for quite
a long time. Some important databases, such as PDB, SCOP, PIR, 
SWISSPROT and etc, are available freely. The server 
locates at: http://www.ipc.pku.edu.cn/mirror/mirror.html. Welcome
to visit! Maybe you will find it helpful to save your network resources.

To extend our services, we plan to create a mailing list engaged in
structrual biology. It will bring biologists/chemists/pharmacists 
together, create an electronic frontier for free discussion. Just 
imagine how exciting it is when hundreds of scientists all across 
this great country can meet in the list!

Mailing list is the organization of a group of people who share the
same interests. They communicate with each other by e-mail. Before
we can open this mailing list, we need to perfom some investigation.
The following form is designed for this purpose.

Pleaes fill out this query form and send it back to: 
[email-masked]. We will appreciate your effort very much.
We welcome graduate students to take part in as well as professors.

============================= QUERY FORM =============================

(To finish this form, you only need to fill or check the blanks. 
 Please feel free to add anything that you want to tell us. 8-) Any
 question please goes to [email-masked])

Name:	_______________
Title:	_______________
Address:____________________________________________________________
	____________________________________________________________
	____________________________________________________________
Tel:	_______________
Fax:	_______________
E-mail: _______________

Questions:

1. How often do you check your e-mail box?

  ___  Almost everyday. I use e-mail a lot.
  ___  I check my e-mail every several days.
  ___  I only use e-mail occasionally.

2. What access do you have to the Net?

  ___  An account on a UNIX/Workstation platform.
  ___  A personal computer connected to a server.
  ___  Something else.

3. What protocols for network do you have other than e-mail?

  ___  Telnet
  ___  FTP
  ___  WWW browser

4. Do you know about mailing list?

  ___  Oh, yes. I am in a mailing list now.
  ___  I heard about it before. It is fantastic.
  ___  Mmm... To tell the truth, I have no idea.

5. What services do you suppose a mailing list can offer?

  ___  Forward/Answer questions.
  ___  Hot points discussion.
  ___  Exchange information.
  ___  Make friends.

6. Do you know any mailing list engaged in structrual biology?

  ___  Yeah. Have a look at _____________
  ___  Maybe there is one already.
  ___  No. I have kept an eye on this for a long time.

7. If we create such a mailing list, would you like to become 
   a member of it?

  ___  Yes. I can not wait!
  ___  It sounds fun.
  ___  Let me wait and see.

8. Do you know our bioinformatics server before?

  ___ I attended your demonstration in May.
  ___ I have visited your bioinfomatics server through the line.
  ___ A bioinfomatics server on-line in China? Tell me more.
  ___ Who cares?

9. Whom else do you know in this field? Please tell us.

  Name: ________________	E-mail: ________________
  Name: ________________        E-mail: ________________
  Name: ________________        E-mail: ________________
  Name: ________________        E-mail: ________________
  Name: ________________        E-mail: ________________

================================ END ===============================

Please forward this message and this form to your friends, as many 
as possible. The more people are involved in, the more successful a 
mailing list will be. Thank you for concern.

Best wishes,

Prof. Luhua Lai
Institute of Physical Chemistry, Peking University 
Beijing, China