Subject: Hondo 8.4, Namelists, & IRIX 5.3. New Behaviour?

From: "Gustavo A. Mercier Jr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 08:03:24 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, CCLer's!

I am porting Hondo 8.4 to an sgi box running IRIX 5.3. (Sorry,
I don't have the f77 version with me.) I've done the same
under IRIX 4.0.5f and IRIX 6.1 with little difficulty, but
there appears to be some new behaviour in how NAMELISTS are
handled under IRIX 5.3.

I am able to compile and link with no problems using

cc -w -c clkaix.c
f77 -w -c -mips2 -Nl300 -O2 -Olimit 1500 -bytereclen -static *.f
f77 -w -mips2 -Nl300 -O2 -Olimit 1500 -bytereclen -static -o hondo *.o

But in running the samples I get a run time error (118) of bad
namelist name. 

It appears that some Namelists that are not in the input must be
read in. In fact, if I put the offending Namelists with no input like
$FIL $END the program runs with apparently good results.

This is different from the behaviour I experienced under IRIX 4.0.5f
and IRIX 6.1 where the samples ran without modification. In fact,
under IRIX 4.0.5f I compiled and linked with the same switches except
that I used -G0. I can't use this switch (and I don't believe
this is the culprit) because it is not compatible with the default
-KPIC, unless I compile with the -non_shared switch. To use non_shared
objects is not an option because we don't have the necessary libraries
installed.

Has anybody had the same experience either with HONDO 8.4 or GAMESS,
hondo's cousin?

Am I doing something different? Is there a switch to recover the previous
behaviour?

I am aware of the -bytereclen switch to change the record length from
4 bytes to 1 byte, but I don't believe this is the problem.

Thank you for your kind help!

G Mercier
[email-masked]

---

From: Stefan Grzybek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 16:25:45 +0200 (MDT)

Hello Gustavo,

I don't know if this is related to your problem, but there are
some fortran patches for 5.3. One thing I had problems with is the
index-function which is supposed to return 2 or 4 bytes, depending
on the context. Under 'native' 5.3 this didn't work as expected.

If you haven't yet installed them, you may try patch #820 and #872.

Stefan
---
| Stefan Grzybek   email: [email-masked] |
|                 http://athena.chemie.uni-erlangen.de/~grzybek |
| Universitaet Erlangen, Institut fuer Physikalische und Theo-  |
| retische Chemie, Egerlandstr. 3, D-91058 Erlangen, Germany    |
|                Voice: +49 +9131 857318, Fax: +49 +9131 858307 |