Subject: Summary of X Server for Quanta and Cerius2 (2) (Sorry)

From: Cheol Choi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 12:17:51 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry.
I think I made a mistake in sending a summary. 
This is a summary of the answers. 
Thanks,

Cheol Ho Choi
Dep. of Chem.
Georgetown Univ.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

    Any X-Windows terminal emulator should work with Cerius2.
The "Cerius2 Installation and Administration Guide" lists a
number of them on pp 31-32.  I have personally run it from a
Windows 3.1 PC using Hummingbird's Exceed 4.

Good luck,
Paul Soper

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Soper                        All the usual disclaimers apply
DuPont Central Research             [email-masked]  
P.O. Box 80328                                 Tel (302)-695-1757  
Wilmington, DE 19880-0328                      FAX (302)-695-2112  
-----------------------------------------------------------------

        Reply to:   RE>CCL:X Server for Quanta and Cerius2 ?

Cheol Choi,
I also use Cerius2, and I have been using MacX 1.2 on my power mac. This has 
worked ok with Cerius2 version 1.6. However,  I am currently having a problem
with the new version  -  Cerius2 2.0. 
Good Luck,

Gary Lickfield
([email-masked])

Try Vista eXceed (I am not sure how you would get it).
It is not public domain but I don't think it is too
expensive.

Regards

Mark

Dear Mr. Choi,

You can use any X-terminal for Cerius2. Cerius2 will run in X-window mode
automatically.  However, for Quanta, it's best to buy an SGI indy and use it as
an terminal. If you can get your MSI representative to give you a floating
license, then with you newly aquired indy, you can run Quanta on your machine
with the existing license of Quanta.

Hope the above help.
By the way, I sell Quanta and C2 in Korea.

Sincerely,
Sang

-- 
Sang Soo Pak
                                        (!! we moved again !!)
Molecular Design Laboratory             Hanhyo Institute of Technology
Hanhyo Institute of Technology          Kukje Center Building, 27th Floor
San 6, Daeya-Dong, Shihung-Shi,         191 Hankang-Ro 2 Ka, Yongsan-Ku
Kyungki-Do, 429-010, Korea              Seoul, 140-702, Korea

Tel: +82-32-691-2955                    Tel: +82-2-791-1704
Fax: +82-32-692-0415                    Fax: +82-2-791-1705
e-mail: [email-masked]
Web: http://www.hanhyo.co.kr

Dear Dr. Choi,

   I don't know of anything which supports DGL other than another SGI
workstation.  However:

   Cerius2 can be run in X11 mode to display on X-terminals even if they do
not support DGL; you should try to arrange a trial of the X-terminal
software before purchasing any since not all software completely supports
the X11 protocol.

   QUANTA will not run on a remote display even if it is DGL-capable.  The
program will run extremely slowly and some portions do not work.  MSI does
not support remote display capabilities for QUANTA on any platform.

   Regards,
       Bob Funchess

-- 

    You can get the latest patches for Insight II 95.0 from our website
                http://www.msi.com/support/life/insight/

  North America:                         Europe:
  Scientific Support                     Scientific Support
  Molecular Simulations                  Molecular Simulations
  9685 Scranton Road                     240/250 The Quorum, Barnwell Road
  San Diego, CA 92121-3752               Cambridge, CB5 8RE, England
  +1 (619) 546-5509                      +44 1223 413 304

   >>>>>  Please use the addresses given below for electronic mail  <<<<<

  E-Mail (Europe)         [email-masked]
  E-Mail (North America)  [email-masked]

Dear Cheolho Choi,

Thanks for your message. My e-mail has been down for the last 3 weeks so I
apologize for the delay in responding.

Cerius2 does support X-terminal emulation but Quanta unfortunately does not.

We do not have any plans to make Quanta accesssible at this point as
evenetually Quanta's functionality will be incorporated in a new
architecture similar to C2 that will support x-term communication.

A solution could be visit our home page and download a free copy of our
WebLab Viewer.  This Viewer is free and allows you to import  Quanta's
files into the program for viewing only.

The other option is to switch from Quanta to Insight and purchase the
module called AXXESS that allows a user to drive Insight from an
x-terminal.

Thanks,
Amanda