Subject: f77 comp. on DEC alpha

From: "Rochus Schmid" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 1996 17:56:51 +0100

Dear Netters,

We currently have some problems to compile a DFT-programm (deMon 1.1) on our
new DEC Alpha.

We didn't have any trouble to compile it and get it running on our SGI (R4400).
It works and produces correct values.
However, we don't have a lot of experience with Alphas. So after solving some
minor compiling and linking problems we have an executable now. After reading
the input it stops while building the grids with the error message:

unaligned access .....

I have the feeling (however, I'm possibly completely wrong, pleas e forgive me
in that case ;-) that the problem of the 64 bit architecture and the code is
not "suited" to that, since the same thing is running fine on the SGI.

Can anyone of you give us a hint:

	- did anyone build deMon on an Alpha?

	- is this a common problem when porting to Alphas (maybe this is not
			   specific to our code)?

	- what kind of constructions can be the origin of the problem?
	  Is there something specific to check in the code?

Any help is very much appreciated.
Thank you very much.

Best greetings from Munich,

Rochus

-- 

********************************************************************************
Rochus Schmid
Technische Universitaet Muenchen	Tel. 	++49 89 2891 3140
Lehrstuhl f. Anorganische Chemie 1	Fax. 	++49 89 2891 3088
Prof. W. A. Herrmann			E-mail:	
Lichtenbergstrasse 4			[email-masked]
85747 Garching
********************************************************************************