Subject: NMR FID sounds

From: Walter Bauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 17:34:32 +0100 (MET)

Dear netters:

some of you may recall that soon after the commercial introduction of
FT-NMR in the early seventies it was possible to do an auditory exami-
nation of FIDs. Unfortunately, these facilities virtually became out
of fashion.

I have now undertaken an effort stimulate a renaissance of listening
to FID sounds. Auditory monitoring of FIDs may be highly informative
in certain cases. Valuable informations may be obtained from the FID
sounds. In some cases the auditory information may reveal errors, e.g.
in phase cycling schemes of 2D NMR spectra or in the parameter setup
of a measurement.

I have written an article designed for the World Wide Web on the audi-
tory presentation of FIDs which may be looked up under

http://www.organik.uni-erlangen.de/research/NMR/music.html
(Germany mirror site)

or

http://paul.chem.uga.edu/www.wbauer/music.html
(US mirror site)

The title of the article is: "NMR meets MUSICIANS". You will be pro-
vided there with detailed information of how to get FID sounds out
of an NMR spectrometer. Sound files of FIDs along with visual material
are provided. In addition, it is demonstrated how to play entire
songs (!) on an NMR spectrometer.

In order to listen to the FID sounds your WWW browser and your hard-
ware must be equipped with appropriate audio facilities. The article
was prepared on a Silicon Graphics Indigo workstation under IRIX 5.3.
However, I have tried to make the sounds accessible to a more gene-
ral public. Hence, the sounds are available both as .aiff and as .wav
files. The graphics presented in the article are based on the usual
 .gif, .jpg, and .xbm formats.

I would be very grateful receiving your comments.

Have fun!

Best regards to all,
Waldi Bauer

********************************************************************************
Priv.-Doz. Dr. Walter Bauer         * Phone:  +49-9131-852987
Institute of Organic Chemistry      * FAX:    +49-9131-859132
University of Erlangen-Nuremberg    * e-mail: [email-masked]
Henkestrasse 42                     * URL:    http://www.organik.uni-erlangen.
D-91054 Erlangen                    *         de/research/NMR/Bauer.html
Germany                             *
********************************************************************************