Subject: Summary, unusual diffusion results in graphite

From: "Wilson, Bruce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 11:46:18 -0400

I note that I never did send in the summary of the responses to my
questions
on high temperature dynamics and diffusion in graphite.  The question
dealt 
with why we were getting gasses with permeabilities through graphite 
and asbestos that were in inverse order of size (largest molecules
permeating 
most rapidly).  I had thought there was a chemical effect.  As it turns
out, Bruce
Luxon ([email-masked]), from the University of Texas provided the 
critical clue.  Think "size exclusion chromatography".  The smaller 
molecules are coming out more slowly because they are small enough 
to explore all of the microcracks and shafts in the graphitic and 
asbestos structures.  In essence, they have a considerably higher 
pathlength to traverse than the larger molecules.

=======================================
Bruce E. Wilson 
Eastman Chemical Company; Kingsport, TN
([email-masked])     http://www.eastman.com
Voice: (423) 229-8886      FAX (423) 229-6114

The most difficult question for a theoretician to answer is "Who cares?"