Subject: Dear Sirs

From: Uli Salzner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 09:14:33 -0230 (NDT)

Dear fellow netters,

this time I'll do it!!

A couple of times during the last half year or so, people posting 
questions addressed the list as Dear Sirs and the like. Get real guys:

A  S C I E N T I S T  C A N  B E  A  W O M A N !!!!!! 

I assume (since I am an optimist) that the phrase was used without any 
bad intentions and that it simply did not occur to my male collegue that 
some women might read this and feel like living in the 19th century. This 
is the reason why I choose to bring it the attention to everybody after 
swallowing my pride the last couple times.

Cheers,

Dr. Ulrike Salzner
Department of Chemistry
Memorial University of Newfoundland
St. Johns, NF A1B 2N5
Canada

Tel.: (709) 737-2151
Email:[email-masked]