Subject: Warning of a virus

From: [email-masked] (Mayer Istvan)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 09:55:05 +0200

From: SARECZ Lajos <[email-masked]> (by way of [email-masked]))
Subject: Virus (fwd)
Status: RO

>I have got the following message from a colleague:
>
>
>             Warning of a new virus!!!!
>
>    
======================================================================
>
>     DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY FILE NAMED PKZIP300 REGARDLESS OF EXTENSION.
>
>     A NEW Trojan Horse Virus has emerged on the Internet with the name
>     PKZIP300.ZIP, so named as to give the impression that this file is a
>     new version of the PKZIP software used to "zip" compressed files. DO
>     NOT DOWNLOAD THIS FILE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!! If you install or
>     expand the file, the virus WILL wipe your hard disk clean and affect
>     modems at 14.4 and higher. This is an extremely destructive virus and
>     there is NOT yet a way of cleaning this one up.
>
>          PLEASE PASS THIS ON TO ANYONE YOU KNOW. >
>
>

---

From: Alain Kessi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 14:06:38 +0200

Mayer Istvan wrote:
> 
> From: SARECZ Lajos <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Virus (fwd)
> Status: RO
> 

From

http://www.kabi.si/si21/f-prot/bull-223.html

the following explanation:

--------------
I received a warning about a harmful program called PKZIP300. What
should I do? 

Don't worry too much. PKZIP300 was a Trojan Horse program which claimed
to be a new version of the popular compression/packing utility PKZIP.
Actually the program tried to format the hard disk. This Trojan was
reported in a couple of places during spring 1995. After that, it has
not been seen anywhere. 

For some reason, there was a renewed warning scare about the PKZIP300
Trojan during spring 1996. However, although the PKZIP300 Trojan does
exist, it is extremely unlikely for anybody to actually run into it. 

V2.04g is the latest official version of PKZIP.
--------------

Hope this helps ...

-- Alain Kessi ([email-masked]), at Paul Scherrer Institut, Zurich
     ++++ stop the execution of Mumia Abu-Jamal ++++
 ++++ if you agree copy these 3 sentences in your own sig ++++
++++ see: http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm ++++