Subject: curve fit?

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 15:12:23 -0400

Hello, 
 		I am looking for a program (fortran or C) that will fit 
	a function (Morse like or n-order polynomial) to data (potential 
        curve).  Does anyone know of any free programs available.  I 
        checked the net and could not readily locate anything.  I will 
	summarize results. 

	Thanks 
	Dan Lawson
	[email-masked] 
	Graduate Student 
	Michigan State University

---

From: Walter Polkosnik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 17:05:12 -0400 (EDT)

> 	Michigan State University

The best routines I've found at lmdif and nl2sol, both from netlib
(netlib.att.com). They are very robust nonlinear curve fitting routines. I
have looked through quite a lot that is available on the net, and I have
been very impressed with performance of both these routines. You will have
to write the driving program, since they are Fortran subroutines. I believe
lmdif is part of the 'matfit' package in netlib and nl2sol is part of the
TOMS collection of software. 

--
Walter Polkosnik                             [email-masked]  
Physics Department                           http://www.physics.qc.edu/~walt
Queens College, City University of New York  (718)-997-3364 voice
Credo quia absurdum est.                     (718)-997-3349 fax

---

From: Kenneth Geisshirt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 15:21:05 -0600 (MDT)

>         checked the net and could not readily locate anything.  I will 

You have three options:

1. There exists a program under GPL which does what you want. It runs as
an extension to gnuplot and the program is called fudgit. 

2. Write you own program which is not too hard work. Just have a look in
'Numerical recipes' - there is a complete chapter about curve fitting.

3. I once wrote a small program for Mathematica which can fit to every
function you can come up with. If you want a copy, just let me know.

+-----------------------------------------------------------------+
| Kenneth Geisshirt                                 Ph.D.-student |
| Department of Life Sciences and Chemistry,  Roskilde University |
| Currently at: University of Colorado at Boulder                 |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------+
| [email-masked]                 http://virgil.ruc.dk/~kneth/ |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------+
| Geek Code 2.1: d++h--s!gp2!aua-w+vc+U++p+L++3EN++K-W---M-       |
|               !V-po+Y+t!5jRG?!tvb++D+B?e---u+h--grn++y+         |
+-----------------------------------------------------------------+