Subject: Urgent !! Serious Security Bug.... (fwd)

From: "Robert K. Szilagyi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 15:18:27 MDT

Dear members,

sorry for this off-topic mail, but I think there are several 
people whom this problem could be quite important!!!!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 11:53:03 +0200 (MET DST)
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Urgent !! Serious Security Bug.... (fwd)

I forward this e-mail from the Bugtraq mailing-list. 

This bug doesn't only crash/reboot linux as the text says, but the
following OS's too:

       1) Reboot: OSF/1 3.2C, Solaris2.4 x86
       2) Ignored: *BSD, SunOS4.1.x, IOS, AIX3.2.5, VMS e Solaris 2.4
          Sparc, Irix.
       3) Respond: M$ e OS/2
       4) Crash: Linux, AIX4, OSF  <= 3.2C and AIX3.2.5 on Token-ring.

If you need more info, check out the Archives of Bugtraq at the following
URL: http://geek-girl.com/bugtraq/

p.s. The patch that the text mentions IS NOT included, dince it is a Linux
patch. d.s.

 -----=<->=-----=</>=-----=<->=-----=<|>=-----=<->=-----=<\>=-----=<->=-----
  Henrik Johansson     email: [email-masked]      tel: +46 (0)31-775 00 90   
   Systems Manager   mobile: +46 (0)706-25 15 45   fax: +46 (0)31-775 00 85
  GlobeCom Network "When communicating is your need"   http://globecom.net/
 -----=<->=-----=<\>=-----=<->=-----=<|>=-----=<->=-----=</>=-----=<->=-----

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 18:43:39 +0200
From: Jake the Prince <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list BUGTRAQ <[email-masked]>
Subject: Urgent !! Serious Linux Security Bug....

Hi,

        Today we saw an email from Linus Torvalds advising of a problem
with Linux and ping.  Basically you can reboot a linux box remotely if
some scenario's are right.  From what we can tell and this has all been
verified is: If anyone in the world with a Windows 95 machine can ping
your Linux box they can potentially reboot that machine.. Hence a serious
denial of service OR loss of data.

Scenario:

Win95 user types 'ping -l 65510 host.running.linux'.

Result:

That machine reboots OR freezes.

On the Linux machine, you need to be running kernel version 2.0.7(It's
the lowest we run) up to version 2.0.20(The highest we're running).

With ping you can use value 65508-65527.

We have extensively tested both of these.

I'm sure there are thousands of Linux systems that could be affected.

There IS a BETA patch out and it DOES work.. If you don't have that
patch code as of yet, it's attached.

Cyaz

Jake The Prince

PS..... Thanks to whoever found this serious bug...
-

       /-----------------------------------------------------------\
       | I have just one     \|/ ____ \|/                          |
       | thing to say...     ~@-/ oO \-@~  Neener, neener, neener. |
       |                     /_( \__/ )_\                          |
       |                        \__U_/                             |
       |                                                           |
       |      -*- Opp -*- ([email-masked]) -*- USA_Direkt -*-       |
       \-----------------------------------------------------------/