Subject: Last minute PSB '97 Education Section update

From: "Steven M. Thompson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 16:38:12 -0700 (PDT)

Please excuse multiple postings - you may be on more than one of my lists.

Hello All (fellow biocomputing educators) -

The paper deadline is long past and the hotel reservation assurance is 
now on a space available basis but PSB still wants your participation:

               Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing

       Monday, January 6 through Thursday, January 9, 1997
              Ritz Carlton Kapalua, Maui, Hawaii

PSB '97 is an international, multidisciplinary conference for the
presentation and discussion of current research in the theory and
application of computational methods in problems of biological 
significance.

Poster Abstracts will be accepted until November 1, 1996.
However, authors of abstracts must be registered and paid 
by the same day in order to be included in the abstract booklet.
Submit abstracts directly to Russ Altman ([email-masked]).

Please consult the PSB web site for further information:

   http://www.cgl.ucsf.edu/psb

Our special discussion section on BIOCOMPUTING EDUCATION is still
soliciting participation as well.  Send me a copy of your abstract as well
as Dr. Altman, if it's in the area of education, and you still have time 
to get an abstract in.  Otherwise, if you just want to help out in the 
discussion, please contact me for more details and a plan of attack.

Big thank you's are noted to those individuals that have already 
submitted abstracts to and volunteered to assist in our Education section:

	Bruno Gaeta, Tim Littlejohn and colleagues at
	The Australian National Genomic Information Service:

	"Teaching practical biocomputing to biologists in Australia"
	"Web based bioinformatics services in Australia - WebANGIS"

	Christopher Dubay and William Hersh at
	Oregon Health Sciences University:

	"Implementing a curriculum for a Masters of Science program in 
	Medical Informatics that develops biomedical computing skills"

	and my Co-Director for the PSB '97 Education Section,
	Susan J. Johns of the VADMS Center at
	Washington State University:

	"Biocomputing instruction on a shoe string"

We are still hoping to arrange for Dr. Mitchell Sogin of the Woods Hole
Marine Biological Laboratory to give our section's introductory talk on
how he has developed, organized, and implemented his (along with Dr. Dan
Davison of the Univerity of Houston) highly successful and long-running
"Workshop on Molecular Evolution" although the certainty of this is
contigent on funding availability.  Regardless of whether Dr. Sogin can
participate or not, we are confident that the PSB 1997 Education section 
will again be a success and are looking forward to working with you all 
in Hawaii this January.

						- Steve

                              Steven M. Thompson
            Consultant in Molecular Genetics and Sequence Analysis
Center for Visualization, Analysis & Design in the Molecular Sciences (VADMS)
           Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99164-4660, USA
                AT&Tnet:  (509) 335-3179  FAX:  (509) 335-9688
                  INTERnet:  [email-masked]