Subject: Error analysis

From: Chris Chipot <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 11:58:24 PDT

Hi, there:

Given a two-dimensional probability distribution - P(x,y) - and given a
free energy difference between two states `i' and `j'  -  corresponding 
to regions of the (x,y) space - defined by:

                        integral over region j  P(x,y) dx dy
delta A(i->j) = -kT log ------------------------------------
                        integral over region i  P(x,y) dx dy

would anyone have a clue on how to evaluate the error on delta A(i->j), 
assuming that  the error on the probability  at each point of the (x,y)
map is known, and that the two regions `i' and `j' are not overlapping?
It is not clear, however, whether or not the data points are uncorrela-
ted - in fact, I suspect they are...  Thanks in advance for any helpful
suggestion.

Chris

_______________________________________________________________________

Chris Chipot                         
Planetary Biology Branch                Phone:           (415) 604-5496
Mail Stop 239-4                         Fax:             (415) 604-1088
NASA - Ames Research Center                
Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000            E-mail: [email-masked]
_______________________________________________________________________