Subject: welcome

From: Lists Owner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 08:56:31 -0700 (PDT)

********* Welcome to the Structural Biology Mailing List! *********

You have been added to this list. Welcome on board! Hope you would 
enjoy this list. 

The following text is a brief introduction to the structural
biology list. Keeping it will be certainly helpful. 

___________________________________________________________________

    A Brief Introduction to the Structural Biology Mailing List
___________________________________________________________________

Contents:

1. About the structural biology list
2. How to subscribe/unsubscribe
3. General rules
4. About the list owner

-------------------------------------------------------------------

1. About the structural biology list

This mailing list is organized for structural biologists. All the
concerned researchers are encouraged to take part in. The supposed
topics include:

o Macromolecular crystallography
o NMR and other spectroscopies
o Molecular modeling and design
o Structure-based drug design and QSAR
o Bioinformatics
o Theoretical and computational biology

To send your mail to everyone in the list, please mail to:
[email-masked]
If you have any problem or special request, please mail to:
[email-masked]

2. How to subscribe/unsubscribe

To subscribe, just send a short mail to [email-masked] like
this, "Please add me to the SBL ...". (This list is not maintained 
by a cool program but a kind young person.) Please state clearly
your name, title, address, country, e-mail and academic interests. 
These information will be summarized in a certain database.

To leave this list, please send a mail to [email-masked], 
saying "Mmm, I am tired ..." or "I am leaving on vacation ..." or
anything that can make it clear.

3. General rules

As a member of this list, please feel free to forward any question
or propose any discussion concerning with structural biology. 
If you have received enough answers to your question, please
summarize it and send it back to the list so that everybody can
learn from it. You have the right to forward questions and you 
have the responsibility to offer what you know when you see a 
question. Conference announcements or product advertisements 
are proper for the list too.

Please bear in mind that the SBL is unsupervised, which means ANY
mail sent to the list will be automatically forwarded to everyone.
So please do not send junk mail to the list. The owner of the SBL
will keep an eye on this and get rid of those trouble-makers.

Try to be ACTIVE. An active mailing list will be really helpful.
Or this can be understood in a thermodynamic view: We, all the
members of SBL, form a close system. Information (negative entropy)
is generated continuously inside this system. Therefore according
to the Second Law, energy must be put into this system to keep it
and develope it.  The energy comes from you, from me, from the
love heart of everyone. :-)

4. About the list owner

The structural biology list is sponsored by Prof. Luhua Lai and
Mr. Arthur Wang. It is maintained by Mr. Arthur Wang, who is
an energetic doctoral student. ([email-masked]). Any
comments on this list will be welcome.

The mail server locates at the Institute of Physical Chemistry,
Peking University, Beijing, China. We have maintained an on-line
bioinformatics server here: http://162.105.177.12/mirror/mirror.html 
At present, we are the formal mirror site of PDB and SCOP in China.
Some other important databases, such as PIR, SWISSPROT, ENZYME,
PROSITE and BLOCKS, are available too.  Maybe you can save your 
network resources by visiting our server.

---------------------------- The End -------------------------------

As you read, you may subscribe sending a message such as "Please subscribe
me to this list..." to [email-masked].
Hope this helps.
Bye,
Gianluca Sbardella 

    ***************************************************************
    *                                                             *
    * Dr. Gianluca Sbardella     E-mail: [email-masked]      *
    * Dip. Studi Farmaceutici            [email-masked]  *
    * Universita' "La Sapienza"   Phone: 39-6-49913814            *
    * P.le A. Moro, 5               Fax: 39-6-491491              *
    * 00185 Roma                                                  *
    * ITALY                                                       *
    *                                                             *
    *  !!The electronic address is going to be changed into!!     *
    *                                                             *
    *                 -->[email-masked]<--                     *
    *                                                             *
    ***************************************************************