From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 16:31:17 +1100

Australian Science - Australia's Future
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 16:34:23 +1000
To: [email-masked], [email-masked],
 [email-masked]
From: "Dr. Dave Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Papers for RACI medicinal chemistry and pharmacology conference

Please excuse cross postings.  If anyone wants to register there is still
time if they email me back in the next week or so or check URL for
registration forms and first circular:

	http://www.chem.swin.edu.au/ma/mconf.html

		ROYAL AUSTRALIAN CHEMICAL INSTITUTE

 		MEDICINAL & AGRICULTURAL DIVISION

			13TH NATIONAL CONFERENCE

		"UP AND COMING RESEARCH IN AUSTRALIA"

			8-11 DECEMBER, 1996,
               Monash University, Clayton 3168, Victoria, Australia

Sunday 8 December
-----------------

Research/Industry Interface Hands on Workshop

Monday 9 December
-----------------

New Paradigms in Drug Discovery   (Chair: Prof Peter Andrews)

Mark Gallop	Combinatorial Chemistry: New Technologies for Drug Discovery
Joe Maeji	Parallel solid phase organic synthesis.
Ron Quinn	High throughput screening in natural product drug discovery

New Directions in Drug Development   (Chair:  Prof. Graham Johnston)

Nick Nicola	Use of the CytoSensor to study cytokine signal transduction
		pathways
Lew		Defining the pharmacophore of omega conotoxin G6a - different
		results between biochemical and binding assays by alanine scan
Paul Rolan	Use of models and surrogates to expedite exploratory
		development.

Leighton Medal Lecture (Prof. Graham Johnston) (Chair. Prof. Colin Raston)

Workshop on Chemical Databases (Damon Ridley)

Combined poster session.

Tuesday 10 December
-------------------

Biota Medal lecture

Emerging disease threats (Chair:  Dr. Andrea Robinson)

Colin Masters	Prions and dementia
Seb Marcuccio	Synthesis and Evaluation of Selected Acyclic Nucleoside
		Analogues as Antiviral Agents
Colin Barrow	Exploring the Chemical basis of Amyloid Formation in
Alzheimer's
		Disease

DNA and Cancer   (Chair:  Prof. Bob Brownlee)

Bill Denny	The Design of Tumour-Activated Prodrugs for Cancer
Chemotherapy
Venkataraman	Novel Therapeutic Principal:  Antisense Paradigm and Role of
		Computational Chemistry
Marg't Harding	Organometallic Anticancer Agents
Sutherland	A Combinatorial Approach to the Base Sequence Selectivity of
		DNA Binding Molecules
McFadyen	Prointercalators Based on the Co(III)/Co(II) Redox Couple as
		Potential Hypoxia-selective Cytotoxins

1400-1530	Agrochemistry   (Chair:  Dr. Kevin Winzenberg)

Jim Peacock	Gene shears and gene Technology in Agribusiness
Max Tate	Monitoring Vetch Toxins in Feed and Food (Keeping "Them"
Honest)
Delaere		Needle in a Haystack.  The Chemistry of in situ
quantitation
Whitelaw	Solubilization of Inorganic Soil Phosphates by the Soil Fungus
		Penicillium radicm (sp. nov.)

Parallels between agrochemical and drug discovery (Chair:  Dr. Andy Liepa)

George Fleet	Sugar Mimics:  From Hydantocidin to a new Class of Amino
Acids
Shiela Unkles	The Potential of Biosynthetic Pathways as Targets for Novel
		Antifungal Agents
Winzenberg	Strategies for Discovering New Crop Protection Chemicals

Johnson		Use of Natural Products Sinharine and Strobilurin A, as Lead
		Structures for Crop Protection Chemicals

Wednesday 11 December
---------------------

Adrien Albert lecture - Dr. Keith Watson  (Chair:  Dr. Margaret Wong)

Glycomimetic chemistry   (Chair:  Dr. Dave Winkler)

George Fleet	Sugar Mimics:  Bicyclic and other Nitrogen Analogues of
Sugars
von Itzstein	Synthesis of Functionalized Sialic Acids as Biological Probes
Ooi		An Investigation of Silaic Acid Lyase from E. coli

Novel medicinal approaches    (Chair:  Dr. Tracy Nero)

Dave Manallack	Matrix Metalloproteinases in Inflammation
Lia Addadi	Protein Control Over Formation of Mineral Phases in
		Biomineralization
Breuer		A Peptidyl Prodrug of a Bisphosphonate for Improved Oral
		Absorption
Coghlan		Nitro Amino Acids as Masked Dehydroamino Acid Residues in
		Peptides
McCluskey	Novel Protein Phosphatase 1 and 2A Inhibitors: Analogues of
		Cantharidin
Kuiper		Molecular Modelling and Synthesis of Antifreeze Peptides

Therapeutic leads from Natural Products  (Chair:  Dr. Seb Marcuccio)

Roufogalis	Development of Drug Leads from Plants Against Specific
		Biological Targets
Paul Alewood	Conatoxins as Molecular Templates for Drug Design
Hood		Preliminary Studies into a New Class of Non-nucleoside
		Inhibitors of Reverse Transcriptase
Jones		Host-Dependent and Independent Consituents of Mistletoes

Learning and Cognition  (Chair:  Dr. Ted Lloyd)

John Bremner	Training of Medicinal Chemists:  Opportunities to Lead
Marg Wong 	A Year before The Mast:  Developing Computational Chemistry
		Teaching Packages for use via the Internet
Maddalena	Prediction of Isoreceptor Binding Affinity with Neural Nets
Soloviev	Molecular Properties of a Unitary NMDA/Non-NMDA Glutamate
		Receptor
Griffith	What Makes a Ligand Selective for the Dopamine D4 Receptor
		Subtype?
Jamie		Design and Synthesis of Potent Inhibitors of Indoleamine 2,

		3-Dioxygenase

Cheers,

Dave

Dr. David A. Winkler                             Voice: 61-3-9542-2477
Principal Research Scientist                     Fax:   61-3-9543-8160
CSIRO Division of Chemicals and Polymers         http://www.csiro.au
Private Bag 10,Clayton South MDC,                http://www.wark.csiro.au
Clayton 3169, Australia