Subject: Multiprocessor Software

From: "David Reichert" <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Nov 1996 09:55:55 -0600

Dear CCLers;
A recent summary by Carles Colominas on perfomence benchmarks on various
systems, indicted some impressive results for Pentium Pro systems. This got me
to wondering wether anyone has been developing modeling software (MM, semi-emp,
or ab initio) for multiprocessor PowerPC based systems. Macintosh based systems
>from Apple, UMAX, and Daystar are all shipping systems with at least 2 180MHz
604e processors with faster ones coming in the near future, and of course there
is the BeBox as well with multi-processors. It seems to me that with this kind
of CPU power, workstations costing 2 - 4 times as much don't make all that much
sense. I'd be interested in hearing people's thoughts and or experiences with
these type of systems, and will post a summary if there is any interest.
Thanks,

David E. Reichert, Ph.D.
Mallinckrodt Inst. of Radiology
Div. Radiation Sciences
phone: (314)362-8461
fax: (314)362-9940
e-mail: [email-masked]