Subject: CCL: Macromolecular Crystallography Workshop

From: "Marcela Madrid" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 14:28:31 -0500

The Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center is offering a workshop on
"Computational Macromolecular Crystallography", June 25-28, 1997.

The workshop will provide hands-on lectures and tutorials for
the programs PHASES and X-PLOR(online). Some of the recent features of
X-PLOR(online) will be discussed, including
probabilistic MAD phasing and torsion-angle molecular dynamics.

The theory and practical considerations of isomorphous replacement
will be described. Several sample data sets with worked examples will be
provided, including a MAD data set.

Maximum likelihood structure refinement will be approached through a
discussion of the basic theory, a description of the implementation within
X-PLOR, and hands-on exercises.

Workshop instructors will be Prof. Axel Brunger, Yale University,
Prof. Randy Read, University of Alberta, and
Prof. William F. Furey, University of Pittsburgh.

In addition to the exercises provided, participants are also
encouraged to bring their own data, if
available, to work on and discuss with the instructors.

For more information about this workshop, please check the URL
http://www.psc.edu/biomed/workshops/wk-97/crys97/crys97.html

To apply for the workshop, please submit the following application materials:

                         PITTSBURGH SUPERCOMPUTING CENTER
                          BIOMEDICAL INITIATIVE
    Computational Macromolecular Crystallography Application Form

Name:          ________________________________________________________________

Affiliation:   ________________________________________________________________

Address:       ________________________________________________________________
               (Business)
               ________________________________________________________________

               ________________________________________________________________
               (Home)
               ________________________________________________________________

Telephone:  ____________________________         ______________________________
                   (Business)                                (Home)

*Social Security Number:  _______-_____-_______ Citizenship:___________________

Electronic Mail Address:_______________________________________________________

Status: ___Graduate  ___Post-doctoral Fellow  ___Faculty  ___Other (specify)

Please indicate specifically any special housing, transportation or dietary
arrangements you will need: ___________________________________________________

How did you learn about this workshop:_________________________________________

********************************************************************************

REQUIREMENTS:

Applicants must submit a completed application form and a cover letter. The
letter should describe, in one or two paragraphs, your current research, and
how participating in the workshop will enhance this research. Please include a
brief statement describing your level of experience with computers. Faculty
members, staff and post-docs should provide a curriculum vitae. Graduate
students must have a letter of recommendation from a faculty member.

Please return all application materials by May 14, 1997 to:

     Biomedical Workshop Applications Committee
     Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
     4400 Fifth Avenue, Suite 230C
     Pittsburgh, PA 15213

Direct inquiries to: Nancy Blankenstein [email-masked], or (412)268-4960.

*Disclosure of Social Security Number is voluntary.

PSC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age,
creed, national or ethnic origin, or handicap.