Subject: Parallel computation

From: "Park, Tae-Yun" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 11:07:42 +0100 (NFT)

Dear all,

Sorry if this message is out of topic in this mailing list,
but I decided to ask help through CCL since I think many
people in Computational Chemistry usually carry out a lot of 
heavy numerical calculation with computers.

Recently I need to perform a kind of optimization calculation 
programed by myself in Fortran and C.  So far, an IBM RS/6000(43P) 
station has been used for my calculation, but today I found that,
with only this computer, it would be almost impossible to get 
the result of my recent program in a reasonable time, since 
the amount of calculation is so huge.

In my lab., there are many workstations like 43P available, 
which are fully networked each other.  My question is the 
following: Is there any way (by software or shell programming) 
that I can use all the CPUs of independent but networked stations
simultaneously(in a parallel way) for my calculation to enhance 
the speed of the calculation?

Any advice/suggestion/information/help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot in advance.

				Sincerely,

				     Park, TAE-YUN
				     Ph.D. student
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
State University of Ghent
Laboratorium voor Petrochemische Techniek
Krijgslaan 281, Blok S5  
9000 Gent, Belgium	  
TEL:+(32)-0(9)-264-4527
FAX:+(32)-0(9)-264-4999
e-mail: [email-masked]
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=