Subject: Intermolecular Interactions - Structural Chemistry Indaba II

From: Craig Taverner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 19:11:26 +0200 (SAT)

STRUCTURAL CHEMISTRY INDABA II - INTERMOLECULAR INTERACTIONS

             FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS

This posting is being sent to a number of mail lists, and we appologise
in advance if you receive it more than once.  Please could you inform any
potentially interested collegues and students of this conference
announcement, and, if possible, post it on any relevant departmental
noticeboards.  One page postscript versions are available on request.
We also welcome any interest from students and young scientists.

The information contained below is a copy of the information on the
conference WWW page:

	http://www.gh.wits.ac.za/indaba

The WWW page should be considered the definitive source, and will be updated
regularly.  Pre-registration and booking of accomodation places can be
achieved with the registration form:

	http://www.gh.wits.ac.za/indaba/reg-indaba.html

Any emails should be directed to "[email-masked]".

Yours Sincerely,
The Organizing Committee

****************************************************************************
Contents:   [Theme] [Invited Lecturers] [Venue] [Cost] [Transport]
            [Accommodation] [Registration] [Contacts]
****************************************************************************
 Due to the success of the First Small-molecules Indaba, this second Indaba
              is being planned for 3rd to the 8th August 1997.

                       Structural Chemistry Indaba II
                               3-8 August 1997

                         Intermolecular Interactions

****************************************************************************

An international workshop organized by the South African Crystallographic
Society in collaboration with the Commission on Structural Chemistry of the
International Union of Crystallography.

IUCr Scientific Freedom Policy Statement:
The Organising Committee of the Structural Chemistry Indaba shall observe
the basic policy of non discrimination and affirms the rights of scientists
throughout the world to adhere to or to associate with international
scientific activity without restrictions based on nationality, race, colour,
age, religion, political philosophy, ethnic origin, citizenship, language,
or sex, in accordance with the Statutes of the International Council of
Scientific Unions. At this conference no barriers will exist which would
prevent the participation of bona fide scientists.

   Indaba is an African term to describe a meeting to analyze a difficult
                           problem from all angles

****************************************************************************

Theme - Intermolecular Interactions

Each of the invited lecturers will address a different aspect around the
central theme of Intermolecular Interactions, starting with a critical
overview of the assumptions common amongst structural chemists.

The idea of intermolecular interactions relates to the notion that materials
in the bulk consist of weakly interacting units, or molecules, in the sense
that intramolecular interactions are stronger than these, by orders of
magnitude. In view of this it is argued that, by ignoring the weak
interactions, the same molecular units that occur in the gas phase can be
recognized in condensed phases. At the same time it is commonly accepted
that solid materials exhibit many properties not apparent in other phases
and acquired as a result of intermolecular interactions only. From both
points of view the concept is rather ill-defined and of questionable
importance. The problem relates to the model of choice to describe condensed
phases. Defined as single quantum-mechanical systems there is no basis to
distinguish between intra- and intermolecular forces. An intermolecular
interaction is then defined only for the gas phase, where it is practically
negligible in any case.

An attempt to distinguish between intra- and intermolecular interactions
necessarily fails to recognize their interdependence and creates artifacts
to be used later on as independent concepts, in terms of which to explain
chemical behavior. In terms of deformation electron densities in crystals
the distinction becomes even more vague and the definition of molecular
units even more arbitrary.

Answers to these questions are probably not simple and different points of
view can surely be formulated in all cases.

In this sense it provides a worthy topic for discussion at a special
symposium in the spirit of the 1995 Small-molecules Indaba.

****************************************************************************

Invited Lecturers

Note: This is a preliminary list. Some still have to be confirmed and one or
two more lecturers may still be invited.

  Name            From               Topic

  F.H.Allen       Cambridge, UK      The relationship between theory and
                                     experiment in the study of
                                     non-covalent interactions.

  A.Amann         ETH, Switzerland   The shape of interacting molecules

  I.Bernal        Houston, USA       Conglomerate Crystallization.

  J.C.A.Boeyens   Witwatersrand,     Intermolecular Bonding
                  South Africa

  D.Braga         Bologna, Italy     Supramolecular organization in
                                     organometallic crystals.

  P.Comba         Heidelberg,        Intermolecular effects in
                  Germany            coordination chemistry.

  T.Cundari       Memphis, USA       Modeling intermolecular effects

  G.Gilli         Ferrara, Italy     Strong interactions (or incipient
                                     interactions) in molecular crystals:
                                     an implicit criticism of the
                                     inter-intramolecular dichotomy.

  J.A.K.Howard    Durham, UK         Intermolecular effects at 10K.

  C.Krueger       MPI, Germany       Electron deformation densities.

  T.Koritsanszky  Berlin, Germany    Electron densities between molecules.

  P.Luger         Berlin, Germany    Interactions at low temperatures.

  J.Ogilvie       Oregon, USA        Dynamic aspects of intermolecular
                                     interactions.

  A.G.Orpen       Bristol, UK        Structural evidence of intermolecular
                                     interactions.

  E.Osawa         Japan              Design of Crystal Properties.

  D.Rouvray       UK                 Fuzzy logic applied to the molecular
                                     sphere.

  B.T.Sutcliffe   York, UK           Molecular properties in different
                                     environments.

****************************************************************************

Venue

As with the Conference in August 1995, the second Indaba will be
held in one of the most famous national parks in the world and the
oldest one in Africa, the Kruger National Park. The same venue as before,
the picturesque Skukuza camp, has been secured for the duration of the
workshop.

One of the Park's main objectives is to maintain the ecosystem in its
natural state and to offer the visitor an unrivaled experience of African
wildlife.

While offering excellent accommodation facilities, the Park has retained a
genuine African atmosphere - to the delight of the scores of visitors to the
New South Africa.

The Climate is subtropical, with days normally sunny, warm and clear. During
August, just before the onset of the warm African summer, the temperatures
are moderate and pleasant. In this regard the South African author and
nature lover, C Louis Leipoldt, wrote: "The ideal time to visit the Bushveld
is in winter, from May to November. Then the climate is charmingly even: its
mornings, when the sun tinges the tops of the bush, are delightfully crisp
and cool; its noon is pleasantly but not relaxingly warm; its afternoons and
evenings, stained by an all-too-brief afterglow with amazingly vivid
colouring, are as mild and beautiful as a summer's night in Europe".

Excursions into the Park will give both delegates and accompanying
persons many opportunities to view the unparalleled diversity of
wildlife, including antelope, buffalo, elephant, lion, leopard, cheetah,
wild dog, hyena, jackal, black and white rhinoceros, an exceptional variety
of bird species and numerous other wild creatures. Skukuza is the Kruger
Park's main camp. Dress code: Casual.

****************************************************************************

Cost

                               Final Pricing

  Registration fee
  includes admittance to all scientific sessions, the Book of
  Abstracts, the meet and greet party on Sunday, the traditional     $330
  braai, a daily finger buffet breakfast and teas, as well as
  daily excursions into the park

  Early registration
  payment must be received before April 15, 1997                     $280

  Student registration
  For subsidised students                                            $100

  Accompanying persons registration fee
  includes only the traditional braai and daily excursions into      $100
  the park

  Transport between the airport and Skukuza camp
  includes entrance fee into Kruger Park                             $100

  Banquet
  a traditional dinner to be held on Tuesday 5th                     $30

Note:

   * The above costs do NOT include accommodation costs nor meals not
     explicitly included above.
   * The daily finger breakfast buffet will be provided at the lecture hall,
     as will the teas.
   * The camp has restaurant facilities for normal meals, breakfast, lunch
     and supper, with prices ranging from $5 to $12.
   * People making their own way to the park will have to pay for the park
     entrance at the gate (about $15 per car and $4 per person)..
   * PLEASE NOTE: The number of participants is restricted due to
     limitations in accommodation at Skukuza camp. PLEASE BOOK EARLY.

****************************************************************************

Transport

International

Johannesburg International Airport is well utilized by many major airlines
from Europe, America and most other parts of the world. Normally trips from
Europe last over 12 hours and are undertaken overnight, so leaving on the
evening of Saturday the 2nd of August will allow you to arrive at JIA on
Sunday the 3rd. Flights leaving JIA on the evening of Friday 8th August will
arrive in Europe on the morning of Saturday 9th.

Travelers from Europe will feel no jet lag, but the Americas are 6 to 9
hours behind South Africa, while Asia is 2 to 10 hours ahead.

Visas may be required for some countries. Please make all travel
arrangements with your local travel agents, but inform us of your arrival
date, time, flight number etc.

Coach

Transport from the airport to the Skukuza camp in the Kruger National Park
will be provided by coach for those that require it, at a cost of $100 per
person. The bus trip will include refreshments and orientation information.
For accompanying persons, and conference attendees, the bus will remain
available for daily excursions into the park for the duration of the
conference. The use of the bus for these excursions is included in the
registration fee. The full bus fare is for the trips to and from the airport
on the 3rd and 8th. Preliminary dates are:

  JIA to Skukuza    morning of 3rd August

  Park outings      afternoons of 3rd to 7th August

  Skukuza to JIA    afternoon of 8th August

Car Rental

Many international car rental companies (Avis, Hertz, Bugdget, etc.) are
represented in South Africa. Attendees wishing to rent cars should apply
through their local travel agents.

****************************************************************************

Accommodation

Accommodation available at Skukuza camp is in typical national park style.
The rondawels are individual huts with hot and cold running water, linen
service, and full ablution facilities. The number of beds per rondawel
ranges from 2 to 6. To facilitate bookings the accommodation has been
grouped into three categories.

The following prices are per person per night:

  category              price pp pn   deposit

  luxury (single)       $60.00        $150.00

  standard (sharing)    $30.00        $75.00

  basic (sharing)       $25.00        $65.00

   * Please indicate your order of preference on the registration form
   * Families or groups wishing to stay together must contact us well in
     advance to ensure booking of appropriate accommodation. Prices for such
     arrangements will depend on final availability.
   * Because the accommodation capacity within each category varies, it is
     impossible to guarantee a specific allocation. We will, however, try
     our best to meet your specific requirements.
   * Accommodation will be allocated on a first come, first served basis.
   * For shared accommodation, please indicate any partner preferences.
   * The required deposit must be received by 31st June 1997 and will
     contribute towards the full accommodation cost, the balance of which
     can be settled on arrival.

****************************************************************************

Registration and Submission of Abstracts

Deadlines

  early bird registration   15th April 1997

  final registration        15 June 1997

  final payments due        31 June 1997

  submission of abstracts   31 June 1997

Cancellation Penalties

  before 31st July   50%

  after 31st July    no refund

Registration

A registration form is available on the WWW at
http://www.gh.wits.ac.za/indaba/reg-indaba.html. This form can be used for
preliminary registration to book a place at the indaba. If you would prefer
to fax the registration form, you may do so by either printing the WWW page,
or by using the text only page at
http://www.gh.wits.ac.za/indaba/reg-indaba.txt. This text only page is also
ideal for emailing your registration to the primary contact email address
below.

Payment

There are two preferred methods of payment

  1. Direct bank transfer into the bank account:
          "Structural Chemistry Indaba"
          Account number 1951076273
          NedBank, Johannesburg,Wits branch 19510502
          SOUTH AFRICA
  2. Cheque or bank draft made payable to the above account and mailed to
     the primary registration mail address below.

Please also contact us via email, fax or mail when you make the transfer, so
that we have our own record of the payments. If you would prefer to pay with
a credit card, arrangements can be made, but a surcharge of 6% will be
charged.

Submission of Abstracts

Submission of abstracts can be made by mail, email or ftp. If using mail or
email, please post to the primary contact address below. If using ftp please
ftp into the anonymous ftp account at ftp://www.gh.wits.ac.za/indaba.
Electronic submission of abstracts will be accepted in the following formats
only:

   * plain text (ASCII)
   * postscript
   * TeX and LaTeX
   * WP5.1 and WP6.0 for DOS or Windows (not Macintosh)
   * Word2.0 for Windows (not Macintosh)

All these formats will be accepted for ftp submissions. For email
submissions, the plain text, TeX, LaTeX and postscript files can be sent in
the body of the email or as attachments, while the WP and Word files must be
sent as attachments. apologies, but Macintosh attachments can NOT be
accepted. If you are using a Macintosh email program, please only use the
text formats (plain text, postscript, TeX or LaTeX) and include the
submission in the body of the mail.

Note that since the number of participants will be limited, and interest in
the conference is high, early registration is very advisable.

****************************************************************************

Contacts

The primary means of contacting the organizers for information,
registration, and submission of abstracts will be through the e-mail
address:

                     [email-masked] .

This address is guaranteed to reach the person most likely to be in a
position to answer any questions you might have, or provide the information
you are looking for.

The primary telephone, fax and mail address for submission of registration,
abstracts and payment by cheque or bank draft is:

                 Lesley Stephenson
                 Structural Chemistry Indaba  tel:    +27-11-716-5091
                 CEE Conference Office
      s-mail:    PO Box 327
                 Wits University
                 WITS 2050                    fax:    +27-11-716-7835
                 South Africa

If you specifically wish to contact individuals, use the following contact
details:

 Programme Committee Chairman                    Organizing Committee Chairman

   e-mail:    Prof. Jan Boeyens                     e-mail:   Dr. Demi Levendis
              [email-masked]                        [email-masked]

              Prof. Jan Boeyens                               Dr. Demi Levendis
              Structural Chemistry Indaba                     Structural Chemistry Indaba
              Chemistry Department                            Chemistry Department
   s-mail:    Private Bag 3                         s-mail:   Private Bag 3
              Wits University                                 Wits University
              WITS 2050                                       WITS 2050
              South Africa                                    South Africa

   tel:       +27-11-716-4097                       tel:      +27-11-716-2348

   fax:       +27-11-716-3826                       fax:      +27-11-716-3826

 Conference Organizers                           Internet and Communications

   e-mail:    Lesley Stephenson                     e-mail:   Craig Taverner
              [email-masked]                 [email-masked]

              Lesley Stephenson                               Craig Taverner
              Structural Chemistry Indaba                     Structural Chemistry Indaba
              CEE Conference Office                           Chemistry Department
   s-mail:    PO Box 327                            s-mail:   Private Bag 3
              Wits University                                 Wits University
              WITS 2050                                       WITS 2050
              South Africa                                    South Africa

   tel:       +27-11-716-5091                       tel:      +27-11-716-2290

   fax:       +27-11-716-7835                       fax:      +27-11-716-3826

****************************************************************************

 last change 29/11/96                      This site is maintained by Craig
                                      Taverner ([email-masked])

****************************************************************************
****************************************************************************