Subject: important figures to ask for

From: Dr Mark J Biggs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 22:39:57 +0000 (GMT)

Hi All!

We have been fortunate enough to recieve an award to
buy a mini-supercomputer and a supporting workstation.

We would like to see some 3D colour graphics capabilities
included in the workstation and so I have a few questions that
I am sure you will be able to answer:

1. What are the important graphics benchmarks - number of
   shaded polygons, number of vectors and/or others ????

2. I have noticed that one vendor mentions the size of
   the polygons, the type of shading, that the polygons
   are lit, 3D, Z-buffered (I think that is all).
   Is there infact any standard for garphics benchmarks
   or do manufactrers play with the numbers.
   If there is some standard, what is it?????
   The same goes for vectors (3D, lit (?), randomly
   orientated, Z-buffered and double-buffered).

3. Does double buffering allow the machine to draw an image "behind"
   another as one is being rendered on screen thus allowing
   for smooth movements on-screen ?????

4. "Alpha planes" are used for transparency I think (?), what are
   "stencil planes" (in bits) and "overlay planes" used for?????

Many thanks to all those who respond and if there is any
interest, I shall summarize to the CCL.

Dr Mark Biggs
Department of Chemical and Process Engineering
University of Surrey