Subject: Re: CCL:ISO software for CPU allocation over networked workstations

From: [email-masked] (Frits Daalmans)
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 96 11:30:03 +0100

Maybe you should look at Monsanto NQS (Network Queueing System);
we use it on a cluster of three IBM RS/6000's here and it works fine.

It is also very "tunable". The program is available under GPL 
(GNU public license), it is available for many platforms (although 
I don't know whether it has been ported to Linux or MS-Windows yet) 
and this is the info I got from a GNU mirror site:

------------------------
Generic NQS is a network queuing system for spreading batch jobs
across a network of machines.  It is designed to be simple to install
on a heterogeneous network of machines, and has optimizations for
running on the high end, symmetric multiprocessing servers that are
currently on the market.  It inter-operates with other NQS systems,
including Cray's NQE.

generic-NQS is available via anonymous FTP from ftp.shef.ac.uk
[143.167.1.11], in directory /pub/uni/projects/nqs/latest/.
------------------------
Apparently it now goes under the name of Sheffield or Generic NQS and is 
in current development (last version 3.50.2 is from 22 October)

Good luck with it,
Frits

Frits Daalmans
OIO Conformational Analysis
Gorlaeus Laboratoria
Leiden, The Netherlands
E-mail: [email-masked]
Tel: [+31] (0)71-5274505