Subject: Summary of Image Converting Tools

From: [email-masked] (Joe Golab)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 08:57:36 -0600

Thanks to all!  A couple of good leads and a definitive answer.  Here is the
summary.  I'll forward anything else unique.

------------------------------ Reply Separator ------------------------------
> Date: Monday, December 9, 1996
> From: "Joseph T. Golab" <[email-masked]>

>! I am trying to locate a program that will convert a scanned image (bitmap)
>! of a spectrum into a series of digitial (X,Y) points.  Does anyone have or
>! know of a program like this?  If so, please contact me directly using the
>! information below.

                             ---------o---------

> Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 14:53:32 -0800
> From: "Frank J. Devlin" <[email-masked]>

Hi Joe,

The program you need is called UN-SCAN-IT and it is sold by

          Silk Scientific, Inc.
          P.O. Box 533
          Orem, Utah 84059
      tel:(801) 377-6978
      fax:(801) 378-5474

The software costs about $300 and is very easy to use.  It runs on
DOS, WINDOWS, OS/2 and MAC platforms.

Regards,

Dr. Frank J. Devlin
Chemistry Dept
Univ. So. California
Los Angeles, CA 90089-0482
(213) 740-7554.

                             ---------o---------

> Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 12:41:16 -0500
> From: [email-masked] (John J. Nash)

Dear Joe:

There is a program called "Un-Plot It" which might suit your needs. I
found it in the ACS Software catalogue. There are both Windows and Mac
versions available. It is produced by Silk Scientific, Inc.

> From the description: "...Convert virtually any graph, plot, or figure
inito digital (x,y) form and input it into a computer..."

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
John J. Nash
Purdue University
[email-masked]

                             ---------o---------

> Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 19:00:56 GMT
> From: [email-masked] (Malcolm Cline)

Try www.handmadesw.com/hsi/web_alchemy.html

They have free image conversion ON-LINE that supports 75 or
more types of file formats.

mac
[email-masked]
Malcolm A. Cline
Senior Marketing Scientist
WebMaster
Tripos, Inc.

                             ---------o---------

> Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 11:26:54 -0800
> From: Jacqueline Bennett <[email-masked]>

DataThief at www.shareware.com can convert scanned PICT files into (x,y)
points that can be imported into spreadsheets such as Excel, CricketGraph,
and DeltaGraph. The only version that I am aware of works    on Macintosh.
						Jac

                             ---------o---------

> Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 13:36:26 -0600
> From: "Ashcraft AC (Clif)" <[email-masked]>

"Data Thief"  does it for MacIntoshes.
		Clif Ashcraft

                             ---------o---------

> Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 14:36:30 -0500 (EST)
> From: [email-masked]

Joe:
I had a similar problem a while ago and found a program called (I think..)
tsdigit.  It was crude in the sense that it required you to use your mouse
to click on points along the curve to get coodinates of those points put
into an ascii file.  It works, but is hardly automatic and would be quite
annoying to use if your spectrum was richly structured.  It also requires
great care in making sure that the original spectrum is lined up parallel
to the scanner axis.
Steve Williams

                             ---------o---------

> Date: Mon, 09 Dec 1996 14:43:35 -0500
> From: Karl Irikura <[email-masked]>

Hi Joe.  I think I've seen such a program advertised in C&EN (or
Physics Today?), with a title something like "Unplot-It".
Unfortunately, I don't remember any details and couldn't find
anything on the WWW.

But I did just find that Jandel has a product, described at
http://www.jandel.com/brochures/sigmascan/.  They have a dowloadable
demo, but I didn't see prices.

Best wishes!

Karl

----------------------------------------------
Dr. Karl K. Irikura
Physical and Chemical Properties Division
National Institute of Standards and Technology
Gaithersburg, MD  20899
voice: 301-975-2510	fax: 301-975-3670
e-mail: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------

                             ---------o---------

> Date: 9 Dec 1996 14:10:01 -0600
> From: "David Reichert" <[email-masked]>

Hi,
Jandel Scientific sells a program called Sigmascan that does this. I've never
used it but supposedly it's pretty good.

David E. Reichert, Ph.D.
Mallinckrodt Inst. of Radiology
Div. Radiation Sciences
phone: (314)362-8461
fax: (314)362-9940
e-mail: [email-masked]

                             ---------o---------

> Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 14:27:05 -0600 (CST)
> From: "Michael E. Johnson" <[email-masked]>

There is a program called unscanit (or close) marketed by Silk Software,
I believe Utah-based.  I have used it; it's not bad.

Mike Johnson

                             ---------o---------

> Date:          Tue, 10 Dec 1996 08:17:55 SAST
> From: "Mr HG Kruger" <[email-masked]>

There is an Israly company selling a good product called "Cotev
Technology"  It is a very nice program which is easy to use.  The last
version I saw 1993 was still a dos version.  I only have there postal
address but email exist.

Let me know if you are interested and if you cannot find the email
address.  Please send me a copy of the replies you get!

Best wishes
Gert Kruger
__________________________________________________________
Dr HG Kruger, Dept Chemistry, University of Natal,
PO Box 18091, Dalbridge 4014, Durban, South Afica
Tel  +27-31-2602181   Fax  +27-31-2603091
Email  [email-masked]
__________________________________________________________

                             ---------o---------

> Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 09:24:41 +0100 (MET)
> From: Gerd Thys <[email-masked]>

Joe,

perhaps you can try WINDIG. It converts graphs into tables, so I guess it
will work for your problem too.

It's a Win3.1 program, freeware... You can find it at every CICA mirror,
in the win3/desktop directory. The zip-file is called windig20.zip

I hope you can find it... I downloaded it some time ago, the information
I send now is a transcript of a mail in CCL of June 25...

If you need more info, please mail

Best regards,

Gerd

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gerd Thys                    Ph.D. Student
Structural Chemistry Group
University of Antwerp (UIA)
Universiteitsplein 1         E-mail: [email-masked]
B-2610 Wilrijk               URL: http://sch-www.uia.ac.be/u/thys/index.html
BELGIUM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

                             ---------o---------

> Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 08:40:07 -0500 (EST)
> From: Bruce Allan Palfey <[email-masked]>

Hello Joe

For the Mac, there's a program called Data Thief available at a variety of
sites.  For instance, try:
http://archives.math.utk.edu/software/mac/graphingAids/.directory.html

ciao,
Bruce

                             ---------o---------

> Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 16:10:00 +0000 (GMT)
> From: Krzysztof Radacki <[email-masked]>

WINDIG-freeware that you can download from 146.169.2.10 (SRC.DOC.IC.AC.UK)
from path
pub/computing/systems/ibmpc/windows3/desktop/windig20.zip.
It=B4s realy nice program with posibility of digitizing data from 'a little
rotated' scans also.
           Krzys Radacki

 e-mail:       [email-masked]

                             ---------o---------

> Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 09:41:38 -0800
> From: Lutfur Khundkar <[email-masked]>

There is a company out in Utah, I believe, called Silk Software that
sells a product that may be exactly what you are looking for.
Unfortunately, I don't have an address handy. If you are interested, I
can try to locate it. Or you could try a Web search.

Lutfur Khundkar

>-- End (as of Tue Dec 10 08:53:42 CST 1996)

-- 

:Joe
 [email-masked]
 (630) 961-7878  <SOCON 8 231 7878>

 +-------------------------------------------------------------+
 | We are going to have peace even if we have to fight for it. |
 |                                                - Eisenhower |
 +-------------------------------------------------------------+