Subject: Molecular Visualization on SUNs

From: [email-masked] (David Bevan)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 09:54:40 -0500

I teach a graduate-level course entitled "Molecular Modeling of Proteins
and Nucleic Acids". This year for the first time I have access to a UNIX
classroom that is equipped with 8 Sun Sparc 20 workstations. I am aware of
programs that run on Sun workstations to do the number crunching (e.g.,
AMBER, MOPAC). However, I have been unable to find a program that will
allow building and visualization of molecules on Sun workstations. I could
probably use Rasmol for visualizing macromolecular structures for which
coordinates are available. However, I also need a program that will enable
us to build and visualize small molecules. Of course, cost is an object so
I am hoping for something that is made available to universities for
nominal costs. Does anyone have any suggestions based on their experience
with Sun workstations?

David Bevan

**********************************************
*   Dr. David R. Bevan
	
*   Dept. of Biochemistry             	
*   Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University          	
*   Blacksburg, VA 24061-0308                           									
*   Telephone: (540) 231-5040                           										
*   FAX: (540) 231-9070                                 												
**********************************************

---

From: [email-masked] (C.S.RAMAN)
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 11:34:04 -0600 (CST)

> nominal costs. Does anyone have any suggestions based on their experience

I would recommend the program XTALVIEW (written by Duncan McRee, Scripps
Research Institute) which runs on SUN platforms without any problem.  It
run under the X11 environment and is quite good for manipulating
coordinates, visualization etc.  It is a full-fledged system for solving
crystal structures, but, will suffice your needs and easy to use.

It is distributed by San Diego Super Computer Center (SDSC) at no cost
to you.  A license agreement, however, needs to be signed.

For more information, please ftp to sdsc.edu and look at 
/pub/ccms/README.  Alternatively you can check out www.sdsc.edu.

Cheers
-raman
______________________________________________________________________
C.S.Raman                              Tel: (210) 614-0839
Dept. of Biochemistry                  Fax: (210) 567-2490
University of Texas                    email:[email-masked]
Health Science Center
7703 Floyd Curl Drive                     
San Antonio, TX, 78284-7760  U.S.A.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
     The real problem in speech is not precise language.  
     The problem is clear language. --Richard Feynman
______________________________________________________________________