From: [email-masked] (James J. P. Stewart)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 08:37:11 -0700

Recently there have been several messages regarding possible
errors in MOPAC 7.  These errors were revealed at run-time.

I would like to reiterate:  MOPAC 7 is NOT intended for production
work.  It should NOT be used by users.  It is intended to be a
public-domain source of code for program developers.

There are about 300 to 400 known errors in MOPAC 7.  The errors that
users have reported are known bugs.  

Many users have asked for bug-fixes for MOPAC 7.  These requests will not
be honored.  MOPAC 7 is not supported code.  If users elect to use
a program that is known to be buggy, and which is not supported, then
user beware - a lot of time has been unecessarily wasted by using MOPAC 7.

So why not remove the bugs?

All bugs detected in MOPAC 7 have already been removed.  The corrected
program is called MOPAC 93.  

This copyrighted program is intended for users. It can be obtained 
>from the QCPE.  There is no license fee for academic users, the
license for commercial use is $2,000. 

Any bugs detected in MOPAC 93 are worked on immediately - in the past
three years, there have been 5 bugs detected and fixed, the last bug
was corrected about a year ago.

Might I make a plea - STOP USING MOPAC 7 !!!  It wastes your time and 
time is valuable - if you want to use MOPAC, then get a copy of MOPAC 93 
>from QCPE.  If you find any bugs in that, then let me know, and I'll
be happy to repond.

Jimmy Stewart