Subject: ANNOUNCE: CML (Chemical Markup Language) V1.0

From: "Rzepa, Henry" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 08:17:01 GMT

Forwarded on behalf of Peter Murray-Rust

>CML V1.0 is finally ready and posted and available for anyone who wishes
>to develop applications.  It's free, as are the supporting java classes,
>and we are already starting to build a community of developers.
>
>CML V1.0 has many new features, and has vastly expanded its potential
>applications.  I have tackled many different disciplines and files and
>believe that CML is powerful enough to represent most of them, and
>certainly the chemical/* MIME types that I'm grafting through.
>
>The greatest enhancement is that CML is completely supported by Java
>classes.  It's also compatible with the latest SGML developments on the
>Internet, so it represents a single universal mechanism for realising
>chemical/* MIME philosophy in being able to send and receive molecules
>regardless of the platform or software.  It is also far easier to extend
>and develop and maintain software in Java than other languages.
>
>I would be interested in hearing from anyone interested in adding CML to
>their toolkit.  It's particularly suitable for processing legacy
>information, database submission and retrieval, postprocessing and
>visualisation of program output, glossary development, scientific
>publication, searching of semi-structured information, etc.
>
>CML is being offered in close collaboration with the Open Molecule
>Foundation, a non-profit consortium of those interested in developing
>object-oriented approaches to molecules and their interoperability.
>
>PeterMR
>
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>-
>
>
>		CHEMICAL MARKUP LANGUAGE (CML) V1.0
>
>CML is an SGML-based approach to managing molecular information,
>especially over the Inter- and Intra-networks.  Version 1.0 is a major
>enhancement over previous releases and is available for anyone wishing to
>develop robust, Object-Oriented molecular applications.  Among its
>features (many of which are new):
>
>	Object-Oriented and implemented in JAVA with hundreds of classes
>
>	Accepts many common file types, especially chemical/* MIME
>
>	Can process arbitrarily large files with no information loss
>
>	Human-readable and easy to learn
>
>	Flexible and easily extensible to many disciplines
>
>	Supported by a communal effort, including the Open Molecule Foundation
>
>	Ideal for postprocessing output from calculations and instruments
>
>	Supports complex documents, including scientific publications
>
>	Applications in protein sequence, molecular and crystal structure,
>quantum
>		chemistry, spectra, organic molecules, publication, education
>
>	Closely linked to the new XML/SGML developments on the Internet
>
>	Free, including Java classes and API.
>
>The home page http://www.venus.co.uk/omf/index.html includes many
>screenshots of the
>language at work, and Java applets are also served for those with
>compatible clients (For those primarily interested in general SGML
>applications, there is a complete package of java classes for SGML/XML
>parsing and rendering (including Shakespeare)).
>
>Peter Murray-Rust
>
>
>Peter Murray-Rust (PeterMR, ) Director, Virtual School of Molecular Sciences
>Pharmaceutical Sciences, Nottingham University, NG7 2RD, UK; Tel
>44-115-9515100
>Fax 5110 http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/vsms/; OMF: http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/omf/

Dr Henry Rzepa,  Dept. Chemistry,  Imperial College,  LONDON SW7 2AY;
[email-masked]; Tel  (44) 171 594 5774; Fax: (44) 171 594 5804.
URL: http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/rzepa/