Subject: Spring '97 UC Extension CAMD Course

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 09:16:44 -0800

Readers in the San Francisco area will be interested in the return of the
following UC Berkeley Extension course:

            Perspectives in Computer-Aided Molecular Design 
          X416.2 (2 semester units in EE and Computer Science)

Scientists who use computers to study and design new molecules are faced with
a bewildering array of theories, techniques, and software packages.  This 
course provides a framework to help chemists, molecular biologists, and 
genetic engineers understand and apply the latest techniques in computer-aided
molecular design.  The instructors use a case-study approach, balancing
theory with applications.  Lectures and discussions are combined with computing
demonstrations of popular software packages for molecular design.  Topics
range from traditional statistical and molecular modeling studies to more
recent macromolecular and 3D structural database applications.  You learn about
successful strategies for lead development and optimization and are encouraged
to apply the techniques to problems in your own research.  This course
familiarizes you with the techniques and software packages in the field, so 
you are able to choose an appropriate method, get the most out of it, and
more effectively plan for future applications in your research.  Guest
lecturers include Robert McDowell (Genentech), Steve Muskal (Glaxo/Wellcome-
Affymax), and Phil Magee (BIOSAR).

Instructor: Douglas Henry, MDL Information Systems, Inc. ([email-masked])
10 evenings, Feb. 13 thru Apr. 24: Thurs., 7-10 PM (no meeting Apr. 17)
San Francisco extension center - Room 16 (near Moscone at Howard)
Cost: $400 (EDP 036657)

For enrollment information, see p. 112 in the UC Extension Spring '97 
catalog, call (510) 642-4111, or visit http://www.unex.berkeley.edu:4243