Subject: viewmol question?????

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 13:42:36 -0500

I am having trouble running the viewmol binary: 

>Viewmol was developed under Linux, but is currently known to
>run also on IBM's AIX, SGI's IRIX, Digital's OSF1, and HP's HP-UX.
>It requires OpenGL or its freeware clone Mesa. 

'ldd viewmol'  

gives 

'libXm.so.2 => not found' 

  It seems the binary file also requires $Motif :( since the libs   
are dynamically linked.  The author left no email address in the 
documentation so if anyone has contact or he is a reciever of CCL; 
would it be possible to privide the binaries with static libs? 

If I am wrong about the Motif, then what is libXm.so.2 and where 
can I get a copy? 

Dan Lawson 
Michigan State University 
[email-masked]
___________

############
# 
# Dynamic linking is great for creating small binary files, but it is 
# not so great when the user must download and compile 20 Mb of 
# library support files.
#                                               J. Handy  
############

---

From: Markus Dickebohm <[email-masked]>
Date: 11 Jan 1997 03:44:56 +0100

>> "lawson" == lawson  wrote on Fri, 10 Jan 1997 13:42:36 -0500:

lawson> It seems the binary file also requires $Motif :( since the
lawson> libs are dynamically linked.  The author left no email address
lawson> in the documentation so if anyone has contact or he is a
lawson> reciever of CCL; would it be possible to privide the binaries
lawson> with static libs?

Unfortunately I have some problems compiling viewmol from source. I
already contacted the author and received a reply, but unfortunately
not all of the problems are solved so far. If this is the case maybe I
can provide a statically linked version of viewmol.
In any case I can say that "viewmol" is really impressive.

lawson> If I am wrong about the Motif, then what is libXm.so.2 and
lawson> where can I get a copy?

No, you are perfectly right: "viewmol" _is_ dependent on Motif. Maybe
you can give LessTif a try to compile viewmol -- many applications run
happily with Lesstif (a free Motif clone) dynamically linked.

Hope this helps,
Markus